22RE (Non-Turbo) Engine with a Turbo Transmission????

I have a 1987 Toyota Truck with a Turbo engine. The head is cracked and I have someone that is going to give me an engine from a 1987 (non-turbo) truck. Will this engine fit in my truck seeing as mine is a turbo and the transmission is for a turbo???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Rafferty

Reply to
Bob Rafferty

Yes - However the ECU, wiring harness and radiator are different too. Believe the head would fit though --- and keep all the other parts (suspect cam would need to be swapped for turbo one too.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Is he giving you the entire working engine? The transmission should work. You might need to get some of the other parts with that engine, like the intake manifold, fuel-rail, injectors/ air plenum, and the exhaust manifold.

The wiring and ECU will be different as well as the radiator.

If the engine he is giving you is not fuel injected then your fuel pump will need to be changed.

Fuel injected and turbo models run a high pressure fuel system. Carbureted do not.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I may very well be wrong, but doesn't the transmission input shaft on a turbo have a different number of splines than a non-turbo? A quick bit of net surfing shows that they do not have the same transmissions. A Turbo has the r151f and the non-turbo would have either the g54 or the w56. Also I don't think the transfercases have the same inputs either although it is perfectly likely that I am getting this all mixed up. Add to that the utter disappointment you are going to feel when you hit the accelerator pedal without the turbo and I think you would likely be better off saving up and getting a replacement turbo head. Just an opinion. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

Good post.

If the Turbo does indeed have the R151F or R150F (this is what the

95.5-2004 Tacomas and 96-2003 4Runners use with the 3.4L V6), it SHOULD have a different number of splines on the input shaft than any of the W-series trannies, whether it be the W56 or the W59.

I'd say swap the heads and change the cams, keep the turbo engine, it's a real gem.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim