2001 S4 nearing 50k miles...

Hello all.

Been lurking for a bit, after having recently bought a 2001 S4 with about 45k miles on it. First of all...what a fabulous car. I believe I will definitely enjoy this beast.

Anyway, three primary questions...

First is what are the major maintenance/wear/service items I should pay very close attention to as I get closer to the 50k warranty mark. I want to get the dealer to cover as much as possible, so if I know what to look for or have them look for that wouldn't hurt.

Second question is what the consensus is regarding extended warranties on this car. I'm generally not a big believer in extended warranties, as if they made sense for the car owner on average the companies that offer them wouldn't...so obviously they make money. The question is whether this particular year/model is one that tends to be on the good side or bad side of that curve.

Third, I know there are a lot of different chip manufacturers, and I'm wondering also what the word is on whether some warrant more attention than others. Are there any that have a bad reputation? Basically, if you have one, let me know how you like it and whether you'd buy the same one again.

That's it for now. I know these issues have probably been hashed out before, and in running searches I find bits and pieces, but I thought I'd try to boil it down to a few questions.

Thanks in advance

BDWood

01 S4
Reply to
BDWood

I have a 00 S4 w/ 6SP and I am keeping it for a very long time.

You can find a lot of info from

Please usethe search function since all of your questions have been discussed manytimes there.

David

Reply to
David Tong

That's basically the answer I figured I'd get...not sure why I asked after all.

BDWood

Reply to
BDWood

Hi, when mine was about to end the factory warranty, I just made an appointment, and had them go over the whole car. They found an oil leak that I didnt know about... I also asked them to check the ball joints, control arm bushings... I think they are weak on the whole A4 line. Maybe hope your turbos blow just before the warranty... heheheh

As for after market warranty... I got one. Glad I did. I have almost broken even, and there is a few more years and 30k miles left to the warranty. I think of it as insurance in case anything really bad goes. if it ends up costing me a few hundred in the end, then fine... I had it if I really needed it... And they did pay for a few odd things here and there... Its a very expensive car if you loose a turbo, tranny or major engine part...

I am chipped with an APR. I like their technology. GIAC is pretty cool too. But I have an APR. I like the flip switch. I can turn it down if I am giving the car to my dad, or girlfriend.. Or to the shop. I needed to do DV's too, as the original 108 part number would leak boost once I upped it with the chip. I used a Bosch Sport 110 - same part porsche uses on the turbo 911. It holds the boost just fine. And they are cheap when comapred to the aluminum aftermarket ones.

I also blew my TBB - repalced it with a kevlar one from ECS. next might be a clutch. I am at 72k and its starting to get weak. I want it to last nother year. At least...

I plan to keep this car till about 120k. which should be a few more years.

good luck,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

When I took my 2001 S4 in for the last free service at 48,000 the dealer fixed several minor problems that they found. I can pull out the invoice if you want the details. I think rear differential seals were a part they said tended to fail. They said they looked closely at the car because this would be my last free service under warranty. (In addition to being nice to a customer, they have a motive to find things to fix because Audi is paying for it at 48K while I might not be so generous with my wallet at 60K.) If this is standard practice you might not need to worry about details. Just remind them that your service visit is the last before 50K.

Reply to
John F. Carr