2003 A6 Short Circuit?

Hello, all -

I took my 2003 A6 3.0 in for the standard 40,000 mile service. The next day it was taken in for an emissions test - the testing center put it on some rollers, attached sensors to the exhaust and other parts of the car, and ran it up to about 35 MPH.

The next day, after driving about 150 miles, I noticed that the turn signal only worked intermittently (usually it just blinked once and quit). Later, driving on icy roads, I noticed that the traction control wasn't working. Finally, the car failed to start - once it was jump-started it ran fine, but after being parked for 5 hours it required a second jump start.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Reply to
DanP

Take it back in to where you got that servicing and tell them that you are having trouble starting the engine!

I don't think your A6 liked the rollers. I think that rollers are not used anymore in Illinois and anything earlier than 1996 is not tested nowadays AFAIK. There might have been a DTC set with the traction control that will need to be cleared. Allowing two wheels to move with the other two not moving and stepping on the brakes or accelerator pedal might have caused a fault. Now it might be in "limp" mode.

Not sure of your engine needing a jumpstart unless maybe the battery is malfunctioning due to age. Might just be a coincidence. 8^o BTW I personally like Delcos in the Audis/VWs and have heard about the Autobahn batteries not lasting that long.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Did they put it on 4 rollers, I hope....????

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Ok, Dan, this is spooky!

My 2003 A6 2.7T was not put on rollers or anything like that, but I did put new tires and breaks on it last fall. I just turned 36,000 miles. Recently, I've noticed a "hot" smell that I haven't been able to locate. I notice it when I'm outside of the car after I've driven it enough to get the engine up to temperature. I had to replace a faulty coolant temperature sensor a couple of months back. Just this week, the turn signals started behaving similar to what you are describing.

If you find out anything more definite about your issue, please let me know.

- Bill -

Reply to
Bill Clark

It sounds like either a weak alternator, or a bad battery.

Check the charging voltage, clean the battery cables if the charging voltage is above 13.8 volts.

Reply to
Refinish King