2004 JGC to Silver Lake Dunes

I recently traded in my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I've taken my old Jeep up on Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan, and had everything figured out. Now I've got to learn about my new Jeep. It is a High Output 4.7L V8, where my old one was a V6. I need to learn about how to use the Quadra-Drive while climbing hills on the dunes. I'm assuming I would go from 4-All Time into 4-Lo and into gear 1. How about Overdrive? Also, what is the procedure from going from 4-AllTime to 4-Lo? It doesn't want to slip right in.

Also, the tires I have are P235/65R17. Any concerns there? Air down to around 13?

Steve Hummel Indianapolis

Reply to
hummels

I recieved some real good advice about 6 years ago when I got my first JGC. Anyone care to give me some insight on my new Jeep?

Reply to
hummels

I just picked up an '02 WJ 5-6 weeks ago and just love it. It is much more comfortable than my old XJ.

There is a WJ (JGC) specific web site at :

which is loaded with information for our model. What do you plan to do with it?

Are you over in NKY?

Reply to
BillyRay

Silver Lake Michigan (Mears Michigan)

hummels

What year? I see paddle tracks on the left side. One set of tracks for the top. Looks like none of the Jeeps made it on their stock 760X15 tires.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com " snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com" wrote:>

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's Test Hill, on the left as you come out of the entrance road. Gets to be about a 45-50 degree angle at the top. Most novices (I suspect those are the local tour rentals) don't make it the first time. You have to leave it in 2nd gear/high to get enough momentum to clear the top.

Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yikes. Try that on Test Hill and you will end up rolling down....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yep, I got a bit stuck my first time in my 97 Grand Cherokee. I learned that if you lose momentum, don't even try to crest the top. And if you do make it, go ALL the way over!!

But, I'm trying to find advice on my new 2005 Quadra-Drive Grand Cherokee. The questions in my original message.

Reply to
hummels
2004 year, sorry.
Reply to
hummels

Yup. Regarding turning and coming back down frontwards if you lose momentum, I think you'd get booted out of the park (if you didn't roll it first), as all of the dunes are strictly one-way traffic... I may be misremembering, though.

I'd also guess that those are also the local tour rentals - they all have their tops on. ;)

I learned the hard way that it's possible to get body damage on the dunes. I was taking a run at Test Hill, saw a piece of driftwood in my path at the base of the hill, figured that rather than find a different line, I'd just straddle it, no problem. I hit the bottom of the hill, the nose went up, the tail went down, the gas tank skid went BANG onto the driftwood, bashed it upwards about 2 inches in the middle, and I suddenly lost a couple of gallons-worth of capacity. My gas gauge was screwed up until I got a new skid plate that let the tank pop back out into shape. Oops...

Made it up and over the hill, though... ;)

Tirya '99 TJ Sahara TDC Inca Jeeper A girl and her Jeep... it's a beautiful thing...

Reply to
Tirya

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oops, yeah, I forgot about that, but I think if you are coming down because you didn't make it up you should be OK. It's one-way on those hills so no idiotic ATV drivers decided to catch air into oncoming traffic.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

OUCH. Took the Jeep through a tiny puddle this past week. Almost made it through, but the engine stalled. Found out it was the deepest water hole there. Water poured in from the front of the passenger side, but not the driver side.

Got pulled out and took out the soaked Air Filter. After sitting for a few minutes, we jump started it and it ran fine. Engine light was on for the next day or so, then went out. Stuck a fan in and dried out the floor.

Anything else I should be concerned about? (and quit you laughing!!)

Reply to
hummels

Water isn't good for axles. If the fluid is milky, change it. Ditto for the transmission. The seals used are designed to keep oil in, not water out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to