87 Audi 5000 brake problem.

My Audi 87 5000 Audi is loosing brake pedal pressure.

When coming to a stop, the pedal pressure starts out fine, but eventually goes almost to the floor.

I have bled the brakes, It helped. I will bleed them again.

But I believe there is a hidden problem within the hydraulic system.

Any tips would be appreciated !

Reply to
martino

It's usually the brake pressure accumulator (AKA "the bomb"). It's situated on the same side of the engine as the hydraulic fluid reservoir, and looks like....a bomb!

Reply to
The Rev"d

Martino, If the brake pressure drops like you're saying, it's possible that you either have a bad master cylinder, or a leak in the system. How old is the master? You might find that the problem is worse when the car is warm - since the master cylinder is right behind the radiator it will get hot and the cylinder bore will expand, increasing the leak. If it behaves like that, pour some ice water on the cylinder and see if it improves. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks for the reply guys !!!

I don't think it is the bomb.

The mastercylinder is almost 20 years old. It might be a good speculation that it needs replacement.

I think there is a long and a short version. Prices seem to range from $125 to $300 on the internet.

There is also a technical bulletin on

it talks about a new brake servo with SHORT-version mastercylinder.

That complete part runs almost $600 and involves removing part of the dashboard. Not too motivational.

It may be best to focus on the mastercylinder replacement first ?

Reply to
martino