XJS Brake Problem

I have a 1984 XJS V12, after approx. 30 miles the brakes lose nearly all pressure with the pedal travel almost to the floor! They do still stop the vehicle but it's a bit scary!

It' not an intermittent problem, any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Rebuild your master cylinder or.. somehow air has been introduced into the brake system. Recent work?

Stop driving until it is resolved.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Hi Blake,

Many Thanks,

Is it likely that it is the Master Cylinder? I don't know.

There's no recent work been done and it has just flown through it's MOT test with flying colours. I was thinking along the lines of the brakes probably binding, overheating and the fluid losing viscosity? although it doesn't appear to be that when spinning the wheels off ground.

It is consistent, 30-35 miles, if there were air in the system surely this would be a permenant problem. Again, I don't know.

The car is in A1 condition throughout having covered only 48k miles from new, I know this means nothing re the problem but it has always been Main Dealer serviced bang on time, every time and they are at a loss as to what the cause is.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Chris Halpin

Suggest you consider the possibility of an exhaust pipe too close to, or leaking upon, a brake line and so causing the brake fluid to boil - after driving thirty miles or so. Alternatively, a stuck caliber could cause the brake on one wheel to drag and so boil the brake fluid after some distance.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The Problem was the rear calipers sticking and boiling the fluid! This has now been resovled after having them overhauld by a local dealer and alls well!

Many Thanks to everyone

Mark

Reply to
Mark

And your main dealer did not pick this up at a service? And it sailed through an MOT? - the rolling road brake tests are designed to catch just this.

Actually thinking about it, it comes as little surprise that your main dealer failed to notice. We probably all have our horrendous stories we could tell about a Jaguar Main Agent and certainly my experience of them (1995 x300 and 1987 XJ40) is evidence of their technicians not being the brightest on the block.

Andy

Reply to
Andy