98 A4 1.8 Avant Auto Questions

I have just bought a lovely example of a 1998 A4 1.8 Avant Auto, with lots of extras to the SE Spec. Full Audi service history, 60k miles. Really happy with the car except for a couple of questions that dont seem to be answered by the owner's handbook:

  1. Sometimes the Radio/CD/Tape cuts off and a loud beeping starts coming through the car audio system beeping once a second getting louder and louder. The only way to stop it is to turn off the Audio system. The car is fitted with the top-spec Audi+BOSE system if that makes a difference.

  1. After driving for a while, taking foot off of the accelerator, the engine idles very roughly. Moving gear lever from D to N makes no difference. Revving the engine (in N, of course) for a few seconds lets it settle down and idle properly. My VW Golf used to do this as well and could never figure out why. Any Audi experts seen this before?

  2. Fuel economy seems to be about 30mpg according to the computer. Measuring miles and litres of fuel at the pump indicates about 28mpg. Is this about normal for this vehicle?

  1. Have seen various mods advertised that fool the ECU into thinking the air from the air intake is cold, supposedly giving +10BHP improvement. Anyone had experiance of these mods? Is 10BHP Noticable? Do they damage the engine/cat?

Many Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirby

Think its somthing to do with "TP" try turning off TP and see if it goes away, it happens because your stereo loses partial signal. I have yet to find a resolution for the problem :(

Sorry I got a manual :( maybe a faulty idle control valve?

A bit low, unless its all town driving, I drive mostly on Motorways and av

28mpg, 2.6 v6 Quattro

I have noticed this also, on cold days my car has loads more power, when its below 10c the acceleration is great, in the summer its sluggish. This mod is somthing I may look into unless I get rid of the car soon. I thought it only effected the V6 model's ?

Good luck :)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

The beeping occurs because you have TP selected, but the station you are tuned to doesn't carry the traffic announcements (or the transmission is too weak to detect the TP marker). The two possible solutions are to turn TP off, or re-tune to a station which does carry traffic announcements.

Reply to
Peter Bell