A4 2.8l 2000 to fix or not?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a dilema...

I currently own a 2000 A4 2.8l quattro with about 89k. The timing belt, suspension, leaky seals, and I think the rocker arm needs replacing. So, would you fix the car and keep it till it runs no more or sell it and get something newer and more reliable. I'm thinking either a 2003 330ix with 23k miles or a new Subaru WRX wagon. My main concern in keeping the car is that it will continue to keep costing me more and more money.

Thought?

Cheers, Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Gauntlett

You can't drive anything for free. Rocker arm? This ain't no pushrod engine!

You want to trade to a BMW, and want "more reliable?" Uhhh, no.

Timing belt is maintenance. Needs to be done on any car that's got a timing belt. Has nothing to do with reliability. Seals? They do go bad in any car, but they seem to go bad more quickly in Audis, for whatever reason. Get them replaced during the t-belt replacement. The whole suspension needs replacement? I doubt that.

So, you could sell it now, honestly, for about $6000-8,000 (ball park), or fix it and drive it another 90k miles and not have to think about any of those things.

Or trade it in for a different set of hassles. The kind you get with just about any other car.

If your main goal is reliability, go Toyota or Honda, and stay away from BMW and Subaru. If you want the same kind of driving that you get with your Audi, you're not going to get it any cheaper than fixing your Audi.

My suggestion? Trade in your Audi on a Honda or a Toyota. You'll be much happier about repair frequency and cost (if you're like the majority of folks who own those cars.)

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

... but it seemed to me that the OP was looking at AWD alternatives.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Figure a timing belt/water pump, suspension fix, tune-up is 4 or 5 car payments.

With the 330Xi, you still have another 32 car payments (assuming a 36 month note).

Assuming the car has been taken care of, you should be good for awhile .... save up a few car payments (that you aren't paying) for the next repair.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Both of those companies make AWD cars.

E.P.