2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade. It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.

BMW has put me in such a difficult position with their pricing, body design, and iDrive.

The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'. I mean I really wanted to like it but I just could not as hard as I tried. It truly looks terrible to me, my girlfriend had the exact same reaction.

Meanwhile, the A6 is a very pedestrian Audi design - better in that it doesnt bother me.

The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate, I think I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly. The

540i is slightly faster in acceleration thanks to the torque if not the HP.

I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i. I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.

Anyways - opinions?

Reply to
Seth Brundle

"Seth Brundle" wrote

And you like the new Audi styling with the big snoz?

The latest Car & Driver likes it a lot, but they don't like the sport suspension.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I'm a German car fan myself (have two Mercedes) and have been looking at the

5-series (hate iDrive) and the new A6 as well. However, I've had horrible experiences with Mercedes service, and a friend has had similar experience with his older Audi A6. I actually stopped in and looked at the new Acura RL yesterday, and I was very impressed overall. I didn't drive it however, and I'm sure its 300-HP V6 isn't in the same torque league as the German V8s. However, for $49,000 loaded with Navi, all-wheel-drive, e.t.c. (there are no options), it's a bargin. I just wish the backseat was bigger.

Randy

Reply to
Randy S

Forget the Honda's. Err, Acura's.

I looked at the TSX, TL and the G35X and found all wanting. A lot. Got an 2004 A4 1.8 q almost fully loaded. The Japanese are too much like American car makers: rather than finesse, they will give you too much HP for the front wheels and hope you don't get the implications of what they have done. And the cars themselves while priced 'well' miss on a few key areas (those areas are largely personal). Compare feature by feature and either Audi or BMW will win over the Japanese.

Reply to
Cam Newton

I think that the 130 mph limit is a bit understated. This may be done to keep the claim within tire speed ratings.

At an on track driving 'school' last spring I was driving a friend's '04 S4 4.2 (which is also supposed to have a limit of 130) and was hitting 150+ on the straight with a lot of room to go.

T> I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote

According to the US specs, the S4 is electronically limited to 155 mph. And of course you can remove that limit by getting an aftermarket chip/software as well.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Fitted similarly, the cars have a difference of 4 or 5 grand. At this price level that's not much. I-drive isn't an issue unless you make it so. By and large the magazines are essentially wrong with their reviews of i-drive. Body design? If you don't like it...don't buy it. I wouldn't buy a car which I didn't apprciate the exterior styling.

I own a 545i.

I think differently. I think it is quite nice looking...even the large grill. Audi is more an "everyman's" car. Caught somewhere between being best at anything. Reviews say it rides hard....too hard. But I haven't had an opportunity behind the wheel. though I must say that BMW's compliant yet gripping ride is one of the things I like most about BMW's in general regardless of model.

The 545 has been clocked at 5.3 (Road and Track) to 60 with an auto tranny...Audi specs 6.3 and 6.1 for the new A6.

Reply to
Ramone Cila

It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside, but remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to look at it before you get inside.

A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is forever.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

Randy, I also looked at the RL -have driven twice now.. not the same class as BMW, but the standard features in the RL are great. Got the Blue Tooth working with my phone the last time I drive one. I'm thinking this way too.. but doubt I'll make the move to the RL.. but have not ruled it out yet.

sc

Reply to
Scott C

For the same money, I bought a used 2002 Audi S8 (like the one in Ronin). Unbelievable!!! Buy a certified pre-owned, and you'll have a warranty as well.

Reply to
LIW

In a previous posting, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Seth Brundle) had the audacity to say:

:I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade. :It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.

They're both very nice cars imo.

:The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'.

I dunno, I think the new 5ers look just fine. But I suppose they are a bit of an acquired taste.

:The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate,

Yes, but it should be sharkable (once the car is broken in of course). I agree that governors that artifically limit the top speed of a very well engineered and capable vehicle are a terrible thing, just in principle. That the driver may never intend to drive faster than 110 mph or whatever is beside the point.

The Euro spec version of that car would probably be restricted to a much more reasonable 155 mph.

:I think :I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly.

Probably nothing reckless about that, those are very capable and well handling cars. When one drives a superior quality vehicle, one doesn't notice the speed as much. 130 mph in your 540 would probably feel more sedate and planted than 90 mph in my old (no longer driven) Grand Scam...

:I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i. :I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not :looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.

Audis aren't fun? I thought they were trying to copy BMW in every way these days.

Reply to
E.R.

Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the US S4 is on paper only (not actually turned on in the ECU software), according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you could actually reach that speed).

- Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Giannetto

Pshaa! When most people are concerned about these cars' supposed "ugliness", what they are really concerned about is what other people will think about the car when they drive by in it.

I, on the other hand, never actually drive my cars. I just go out to the garage and look at them, so their beautiful design is of utmost importance to me... (not!!) ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Different strokes for different folks. I really enjoy the fact that my silver S8 is very reserved looking, and stealthy. Once insde, particularly at night when the white indicators spin up the red surrounds, it feels like piloting a low flying jet. I think it is a combination of looks and feel, and sound.

When I had my Viper it was more "instant celebrity" than in my current Vette, but if I were going to go sit in the garage and just stare at a machine, it would have to be a 12 cylinder Ferrari.

I still say, buy a used S8 for the price of either of the cars being considered, and have it all!!

Reply to
LIW

In a previous posting, snipped-for-privacy@ic.sunysb.edu (Charlie Giannetto) had the audacity to say:

: Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the :US S4 is on paper only

Ahh, rawsuit protection! ;}

:(not actually turned on in the ECU software), :according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car :should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you :could actually reach that speed).

Are you sure it's not actually limited at all, assuming the source rumour is correct? 'Cause I believe even the (original) Euro spec cars have a 155 mph governor... which I personally don't think is outrageous[ly low], but clearly a small proportion of owners does.

Reply to
E.R.

I've read of people exploring the limits of the car on AudiWorld, although I have no first hand experience. I believe that the limiter value is indeed set to 155 in the ECU but the limiter flag itself is actually set to false, which disables the function. The lack of a speed limiter isn't really an issue since the speed (even at 155) is still well beyond any legally acceptable level on any public road in the US. 155 is something that the European community has agreed on I believe so I'm not sure the fact that it might not be implemented on a US spec car would be all that significant.

If you would like to look into this further, I suggest going to the AudiWorld.com or B6S4.com web sites and searching for information on "speed limiter" or "governor".

- Charlie

04 S4 MT6
Reply to
Charlie Giannetto

Vanity isn't the only reason why people criticize the aesthetics of these cars. Many people criticize these designs because they expect a lofty $50k car to encompass more than just great function; they expect beautiful form as well. And they -- or should I say we -- feel that many of both BMW's and Audi's latest designs have taken a step backward in that regard.

Rob

2002 A4 3.0Q 2005 TT 3.2 DSG
Reply to
+ Rob +

BMW's yealry sales in North America are built almost entirely on the brand's image. Break 1,000 BMW owners into groups of 10 and I bet that 9 out of every

10 of them will tell you that brand image helped sell them on the car. Audi lacks the image and recognition of BMW and that's a big part of why they can't sell as many cars. It also doesn't help that the average Audi (S and RS models aside) can't hold a candle to the capabiltities of the average BMW. The A4 and A6 simply cannot match the overall dynamics of the 3 and 5-series models. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

I prefer the Audi's styling and I MUCH prefer it's interior, especially the MMI interface, to the "5ers" interior and iDrive. However the Audi has been criticized for somewhat vague steering and an overly stiff suspension, and would probably not be able to match the 545i in pure dynamics. For me, it would come down to which I value more: the interior or the "on the edge" performance capabilities. I'd probably take the A6, because on a day to day basis, I'm not going to be exploring the performance limits of either car and I'd rather live with the A6's interior. I do like the E500 though.... Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com...

I don't disagree with you. 9 of 10 car buyers of ALL brands are likely influenced by brand imagery to some extent -- whether it be "youthful hipness" (Scion), "practicality" (Honda), "staid sophistication" (Mercedes), or what have you. But that isn't to say that design doesn't count, or that aesthetics are somehow above criticism. Just look at Cadillac. At one time Cadillacs were considered by many to be the very best that the automotive world had to offer -- the best sheetmetal, the best drivetrains, the most luxurious interiors, etc. (hence the phrase, "it's the Cadillac of......"). But then, gradually (while many loyalists/apologists surely continued defending them), the design elements slid downhill to a point where a large segment of the public no longer liked the cars. So consumers were left to make a choice: do I buy a "legendary" brand that I no longer like, or do I buy something less legendary that appeals more to my senses? And the historical numbers clearly point that most potential buyers eventually chose the second option. However -- surprise surprise! -- as soon as Cadillac introduced a crop of new designs that people liked (Escalade, CTS, etc.), sales came back with a vengeance. Do I think that means that BMW's are going to slide the way Cadillac's did during the 70's and 80's? Not necessarily. But history shows (via Cadillac, Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler and dozens of once stylish, but now defunct brands) that ignoring consumers' wants/tastes and relying instead on imagery to sell cars is not a viable long-term recipe for success.

Rob

Reply to
+ Rob +