Anyone drive the 250hp V6 TT?

Hey all,

Any of you currently own a 4cyl TT and take the new TT for a drive? How was it? What do you currently own...the low end (180hp) or 225hp 4cyl?

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

Hi Geek :-)

I've got the 225 TTC - great car.

If you're really interested in the V6 take a look at some of the reports on the UK TT Forum (web address below) - it includes some from the US as well. Apologies for some of the recent threads though - it's obviously a boring time of year :-)

Reply to
Moley

"b22r" skrev i en meddelelse news:401133e0$0$2841$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com...

Waht do you own?

Jens

Reply to
Jens

(Answering on Mole's behalf) a 225 TTC [coupe], IIRC.

Me, I have a [chipped] 270 TTR [Roadster].

Haven't tried the V6 personally, though. Perhaps worth considering as an alternative if you like fully manual gearboxes ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Picked up my brand new V6 TT roadster on Christmas Eve, a long-overdue present for 2003 and probably every other Christmas in my life.

Worth it!

The car is an absolute delight -- quickest, direct response, a ton of horsepower from way down low (torque peak starts under 3000!), of course no turbo lag, and the DSG is a hoot! Many variations on shifting. Here on the freeways of Southern California I use D, unless there's a bit of a break. Then bang! into DSG mode, knock it down a few gears, and I'm past offending fast-laners before they know it. On the hills and curves of the Santa Monica Mountains, it's tight, taut and speaks to you all the way.

And of course, thanks in part to the bright yellow paint, I'm a hero to any gas station attendants I encounter.

I haven't driven either of the 4-cylinder versions of the TT but my Boxster-owning friend has. Maybe next week I'll have him try this out and give a quick comparison. If I can slow down enough to let him in, that is.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Hey Jens,

I owned a 2001 180hp FWD Roadster (w/baseball optic interior). Got rid of it recently and picked up a 2001 Mercedes SLK320. Bought the SLK for a few reasons....it only had 2,100 miles and the price was great. Also, it is a hard top convertable (no garage) and holds up much better on the roads of Boston than the TT did (the TT is a bit fragile). Loved the TT, great car and great comfort but feel that I traded in a sporty car for a sports car.

I think that the TT now comes out as a V6/250hp is really cool. I look forward to driving one but really don't want to have another one given where I'm living now. Also, the SLK 320 (6 sprred) is AMAZING.

Cheers,

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

The SLK is a sports car? The 230 I drove wasn't impressive at all. It's slower than a 180TT, lacks the Quattro traction and didn't have the TT's direct feeling from the steering. The 320 is overpriced, and still lacks the performance of the TT 225.The AMG version is the only one that could approach being a sports car, but a chipped 225 TT is more interesting.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Out of interest, what broke? (Roads in Berkshire, UK, also leave a little to be desired - as the holed sump on by Westfield would testify)

(Won't comment on the SLK, except that it appears to be slower in a straight line, and slower around the bends. Certainly a good time for bargains at the moment if you like the trick roof etc., given that it's being replaced..)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Yes, the SLK is definitely a sports car....not the SLK 230....I agree with you there. I drove a few SLK230s and thought the TT sized up quite well and there was no reason to consider the 230. The SLK320? IMHO, it drives nicer than the TT 225hp.....love the 215hp V6 of the Mercedes. Yes, one can get a faster car but for me, the feel of the mercedes is what sold me...with the top down i love the roar of the V6, with the hard top up, I love that it converts to an elegant quiet 2 door. Re Quattro.....does not enter the picture as I did not and do not want it. already own an A4. Also, at least as relates to the TT I do not/did not want to take the hit re trunk space. I owned a 180hp TT but have driven a few 225hp TTs....the SLK 320 has both beat....but methinks the 250hp V6 TT would be one hell of a rad driving car.

Re Hairy OK's question.....luckily I never damabed the TT on the Boston roads. I did however always have to look carefully at the condition of the road (holes, rises, etc) and be very concerned about damaging the TT, less so with the Mercedes.

Two things the TT has over the Mercedes....the TT stereo (awesome!) and the seats (better comfort). The so called 'trick roof" of the Mercedes? Dudues....that roof is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

After I chipped my (now sold) 180 TTQ, lowered it a couple of centimeters, added an aftermarket BOV and a decent air intake, it changed the car from a comfortable cruising car, to a racy little devil always asking to be pushed harder... It would eat any everyday SLK for breakfast I'm sure. On some occasions there were some challengers on the road, but porsche boxsters, lotus elise were no match for her, and even 993 generation 911's had serious trouble keeping ahead.

Of course the M3's, 996's and the Testarossa I once met on the road were in a totally different league, but you can't blame one for trying ;)

And I think a chipped 225 would kick the sh*t out of the V6 anyday, maybe even a chipped 180 would as well.

Funny, in my opinion the stereo in my TT sucked considering the price one had to pay extra for it...

-- dAve

Reply to
Dave

Hey Dave,

No doubt the SLK is not the fastest car...not even close relative to a few people usually gravitate to...the Boxster S, a chipped TT (or the V6), the

350Z, S2000, etc. What moved me to buy the SLK320 was that it took punishing roads better than the TT, it has a hard top convertible roof, Xenon, heated seats and traction control. I felt the 350Z (at 287hp) was a bit overkill for city driving (and a pretty cheap feel kinda car). I was very impressed with the Boxster S but could not find a 2001 with heated seats, Xenon and low miles...also, as I said the hard top on the MB is amazing, also the car (a 2001) only has 2,100 miles!!!!

Personally, I could not give a shit re racing or what car I can/cannot beat....that sort of activity does not even remotely interest me and to some extent I think such thinking is a tad immature (sorry). All I care about is a great car with good get up and go. The 225 and 180hp TTs are quite responsive but just don't give the feel of a V6. The new 250hp V6 TT? I expect it to be an awesome car.

Odd that you didn't like the TT's stereo. I've had quite a few cars and done quite a few installs of stereos. My TT had the best factory sound of any car I've owned...

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

hey, I was only 23 when I bought it ;) this weekend I'm taking delivery of a B5 model A4 Avant Quattro TDI V6, so I guess the boy racer in me is fading away as well :)

for a factory installation it was quite good actually, but for the money you paid extra, I think a lot better can be had from a third party audio manufacturer... I mean, the bose in my coupe didn't even have a subwoofer for crying out loud!

-- dAve

Reply to
Dave

WTF...there was no subwoffer speaker in the spot between the seats?????????

Reply to
b22r

seats?????????

AFAIK that's the TTR only.

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

correctemundo

-- dAve

Reply to
Dave

THAT MAKES SENSE GIVEN THAT IT WOULD BE A COUPE (NO SPOT FOR THE SUB) BUT THAT SUCKS.............the subwoofer in the TTR really gives it a nice kick (nothing better than hearning and FEELING the music)...Errrrrrrrrrrrrr, ummmmmmmmmmmm....I assume without the sub, the sound would be kinda shitty ;-)

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

It isn't it. It's quite good actually (especially considering it's a factory fitted system).

Reply to
Bram

my point exactly =)

-- dAve