Audi a4 or a6 , any thoughts or experience??

I'm living in Dublin so please take that into account when replying. We don't have the 8 lite v12 engines that you americans are lucky enough to possess

I'm looking to purchase an audi a4 or a6 in the next week. I'm after going through a web load of research and they come up in the top percentile in everything that is important to me. I've also wanted one since i was about ten and my next door neighbour had a lovely silver audi.

My question -

Any thoughts or experience on how the a4 and the a6 shape up to each other in the following areas -

- Handling/Performance

- Economy ( am going to buy diesel variant)

- Reliablity/Servicing

I'm looing at the a6 due to its vast boot and passenger area. Family planning really does hit everypart of the life :-).

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
eain.jones

I have a garden variety A6 2.8 in the USA. I would have prefered an A4 but the family prevailed and liked the larger size of the A6. I'm used to performance cars, so here are my thoughts.

The A6 is a fine car but doesn't really encourage spirited driving. It will go fast, and handles fine, but it doesn't scream "drive me hard!" I would prefer the lighter, more nimble A4 for that kind of thing. The A6 does everything well, I just don't consider it a 'drivers' car, at least not as much as I would like it to be. I like blasting around within reason, I think the A4 would be more to my taste.

If space is an issue you won't go wrong with the A6. As you noted the boot will take everything you could possibly want to take with you, and probably have room for your neighbors kids too! It's like some kind of optical illusion, how could that much space possibly fit under that skin?

Either one is fine, if it were up to me I'd go A4. I'd expect reliability to be about equal, unless there are issues I'm not aware of.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

I have an A6 2.4SE and my experience of it is:

Check the front suspension for wear, it is one of their weak points and parts are not that cheap because they are mostly made of light alloy. Listen for creaks and rumblings when driving it and check for eneven tyre wear.

The petrol V6s suffer from oil leaks usually caused by a blocked air pump causing high crankcase pressure and that blows the rocker box gaskets and camshaft seals. The pump is only £16 but the repair to the oil seals can be expensive. The engine gives good performance for the size of car and economy on a motorway run can be around 30mpg.

Cambelt - make sure thay it has been changed according to the book. On the petrol V6 it is about £700 at an Audi dealer.

The handling is not that great, better suited to sedate driving, but a good motoway cruiser and the seats are comfortable with good legroom in the back. The wrong tyes can make it very noisy inside and the right tyres make it a quiet car. There were Kumhos fitted when I bought and they made a terrible noise; changed them to P6000s and it went very quiet.

I was lent an A4 2.0FSI for two weeks about two years ago. Good eng>I'm living in Dublin so please take that into account when replying. We

Reply to
Paul