New Passat 1.8T or 2001 Audi A6 2.7T ?

Both are running around $23K. The Audi has ~50K on it. Currently own a

1999 Audi A4 Avant, and I need a bigger back seat...

The Passat is definitely nice - I love the short-throw shifter. New car warranty and smell would be nice.

The A6 2.7T is in my pantheon of ubercars. 0-60 in 6 sec flat. 6-speed manual. I'd have to spend extra to get a warranty (and I definitely would)

What do you think?

Reply to
HooHa

Get the A6 with the warranty. A well-kept Audi will go well over 100,000 miles and you'll never be sorry you bought it, especially on Sunday Morning runs down the local back-roads. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I can't say. What I can say is that my father's B5 platform A4 went over 60,000 miles with no problems whatsoever, and wasn't showing any signs of trouble when he sold it. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Personally, I wouldn't touch that A6 with a ten foot pole unless I could get a warranty that would take it to 100K. How long would you be planning to keep it? I'd be willing to be you'd have a major expensive component failure before 100K, eg, A/C compressor, ABS box, turbo, etc. An Audi is a fine car but it's ain't a Toyota with respect to component reliability. As long as VW keeps doing things like using the same crappy vacuum hoses that they used in the type 1 Beetles and Rabbits, they're going to have reliablility problems.

I learned my lesson: never buy an "expensive" used car. We bought our daughter a 96 Mazda 626 with 56K miles on it in 1999. We paid $10K for it. It looked brand new and drove beautifully. Within the next year the auto trans was out of the car TWICE. It also had MAF and TPS problems and had the catalytic converter replaced (thank heavens under the emissions warranty). We sold it at just under 100K miles for $3000, and I was glad to get rid of it. In retrospect, we should have just bitten the bullet and gotten her a new car.

Go for the Passat.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

well said, if you buy make sure you purchase a warranty policy. I see a lot of Audi 2.7l in the shop with problems.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I agree with both of you. The other day I was chugging along with my 94 Jetta and during the drive I had two Audis sounding like rattle traps. The one was rattling in the rear so loud I could hear it. The other was rattling under the hood loud enough for me to hear and I have a TT SS Flow master exhaust. :)

No it wasn't my car sound bouncing back. These were older Audis.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I would get the A6. I mean, cmon, even though they are built by the same manufacturer (VW/Audi), Audi is in a class higher then the Passat (the people's car).

Anyhow, I think 50K is a good milage for a used car, in the sweet range. I understand that many people mention that it may have more possible problems, and it may, but a car in the luxury price range should not have major problems until reaching 100K.

I own a Toyota Camry 1993 with 112,000 miles, and I haven't had any problems with it. An Audi should definantely reach that point.

Where I am from, many many people still drive the 88-92 Audi 80s today. Along with the Golf 2, they are considered among the most reliable of the European cars.

Just my $.02.

Reply to
George Bozovic