Audi A4 vs. Jetta

In regards to overall quality between a 2008 Audi A4 (2.0T) and Jetta (SEL?), which is best and why?

I like the exterior of the Jetta better. However, Once the smaller rear spoiler is added to the A4, it's very nice looking. Similar to an Acura TL in its design. The Jetta interior seems nicer than the A4 (leather for both). But I'm only going buy photos.

I've read many reviews about the gasoline Jetta not being reliable. People constantly have issues. The diesel doesn't seem to have those problems but I don't think I want a diesel. How is reliability on the A4 overall?

The Jetta definitely gives much more for what you pay for but I don't know if the same quality is there. I figure after customizing, the Jetta will run $24.5 - $25K. The A4 about $33.5K. I'll be leasing either car. Both have a 10K/yr mileage cap. Does either lease program allow you to put down more for a smaller monthly payment? Can I add upgrades (customize) as part of the lease deal?

Thanks, Brett

Reply to
brett

I own a new Jetta and like it a lot, but I have a lot of experience with Audi's too. Overall the Audi's are simply more sophisticated cars. If price were not an issue to me I would have gone for an A4. Dependability should not be a consideration for you because either car will come with a warranty that will outlast your lease terms. No doubt you get a lot of car for the money with the Jetta, but the A4 is my choice cost aside. As for the spoiler, I'd pay them to leave it off, but that's just me. You won't go wrong with either car.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

True but which car will keep me out of the shop most during the lease?

Thanks, Brett

Reply to
brett

A Honda.

Seriously.

If you are looking for ultimate reliability, then German cars are not your best choice.

E.P.

'95 UrS6 (and 3 other German cars, 600k miles worth)

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Still love my '83 Audi 4000S! Super reliable and economical to operate! Hmmm I don't seem to see too many '83 Hondas here in Chicago. But they don't make them like they used to do they! lol

My thoughts/observations on either the Audi A4 or the Jetta. The VWs have had costly issues with the automatic transmissions. Not sure why some go out within 2-3 years and others last past 10 years and 200K miles. That scares me! It can have other issues with electrical components and power windows. Overall they are good & fun to drive cars. The Audi A4s seem to be built with a little more quality and refinement. I am currently putting a 1.8t engine together for a '97 A4Q auto for me. If you like the car you buy, and take care of it, it should treat you well but remember my warnings! ;-) A good long warranty can save your A$$!

Yes if you want something "cheaper" to keep over the years you could go Honda/Toyota and you can save more $$$ in the bank. But do you really want to drive one of these?

During your lease the A4 might keep you out of the shop more than the Jetta. But you never know, since they both should keep you out of the shop! lol

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks. Assuming neither goes to the shop during the lease, what are the reasons to get one over the other? Is one better to drive than the other or has some sort of appeal?

Or, does it come down to the test drive, looks, and lease cost?

Brett

Reply to
brett

Drive both, then decide.

Reply to
wtrplnet

Jetta made in Brazil, that's quite enough for me. Free servicing offer to shift stock?

Reply to
Tricky Dick

If both lease programs limit to 10k miles/yr, is there a way to get

12k or 15k on a modified lease deal? What does that do to payments?
Reply to
brett

"brett" wrote

It's comparable, I'd say. But if the Audi goes into the shop, you'll get a free loaner for the day. Not sure if the VW provides the same benefit.

Pete

Reply to
Pete