Funny idle - one for the experts

Does anyone know what could be causing idle to rise some 200 rpm - i.e. from the usual 800 to some 1000 - when car is warm? If I leave the car idle it rises itself, but if I push and release the accelerator just a notch, idle is back to normal, then if left to its own devices for some seconds, idle will suddenly and for no reason rise slightly once more.

I remember the throttle body was a real nuisance to align when I had the car chipped. Plugs were replaced to no avail. I'm still running the stock '98 BPV. MAF has never been replaced.

Mileage is normal, idle with a cold engine is fine and rock solid stable.

The only other thing is some slight surging at WOT in 5th. At throttle a little over 3/4, there is a very thin band where boost seems to be getting on and off all the time when engine is coasting a slope and surging is very obvious then but at WOT it is very much less noticeable.

Thanks in advance,

JP Roberts

Reply to
JP Roberts

I've no idea but someone might know ......if you tell them what car we are looking at!

Reply to
Iain Miller

Good point! Since I'd been posting rather often I seem to have forgotten to mention I've got a '98 1/4 A4 1.8T Q.

By the way, a friend of mine's Vag-Com throws no codes on it, as we could see yesterday.

Thanks,

JP "Iain Miller" escribió en el mensaje news:zZIpb.2244$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Well, thanks to all of you. I really didn't know the difference between OE and OEM, though if it's Brembo it must be better than OE, can't it?

Yours,

JP

"JP Roberts" escribió en el mensaje news:bo6s8u$ki0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ya.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Sorry this one went to the wrong thread!

"JP Roberts" escribió en el mensaje news:bo96ur$leh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ya.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts