Mondeo fast idle help pls

Hi - any ideas on my 1999 Mondeo 2.0 idle?

Just bought the car. Garage cleaned butterfly area as throttle was sticky. Now find idle at standstill is steady 1100rpm, when moving idle increases to nearly 2k. eg if parked on hill, idle is 1100, take handbrake off & roll in neutral and at a few mph idle automatically rises to 2kish - very difficult to drive slowly! Garage says this is normal....

Reply to
Sheepdip

Which garage ? (so we can avoid the fecking cowboys) My Mondeo idles at 900rpm, rock steady, only rises to 1000rpm with the AC.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I'd put money on the vacuum T piece being split / broken- behind / under the coil pack. Pretty common mondy malady.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks both for advice - to be fair to the garage they sent me to their "repairers" who repaired the aircon (new condensor) and &^%^&* the tickover...

I'll have a look at the T piece mentioned - is it easy to get at?

Reply to
Sheepdip

Hi Tim - is that the metal pipe running under the coil pack? seems to have a couple of metal pipe takeoffs?

Reply to
Sheepdip

In message , Tim.. writes

They done away with the infamous T piece on the Blacktop. He's got a 99 Mondy which will have a Blacktop.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
Sheepdip

In message , Sheepdip writes

It refers to the variant of Zetec engine. From 93 through to 5/98 the engine was known as a Silvertop and from 5/98 onwards the engine was known as a Blacktop.

The terminology refers to the colour of the cam cover, which is the most visible difference but there are mechanic differences including the piston skirts and cambelt routing.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Paul Giverin writes

Almost forgot one of the biggest differences was that the silvertop had hydraulic tappets and the blacktop had bucket and shim.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

This has been discussed before. The colour of the cam cover didn't signify the change from hydraulic to solid tappets. Early Zetec's had the problematic hydraulics, Zetec-Es (the one that didn't come with the EFi plenum chamber) started the solid trend. As per Haynes and Ford TIS.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

It may have been discussed before but it doesn't make it right.

The Zetec had hydraulic lifters right up until the introduction of the blacktop in 5/98.

Allow me to quote from the Ford TIS:-

Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin ( snipped-for-privacy@giverin.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, yes, yes.

But none of that even mentions the colour of the cam covers. Do you have any reference for that?

(Personally, I neither know nor care, but...)

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Well I've got a 06/98 build blacktop sitting in the drive. I've also seen quite a few late 97/early 98 silvertops. A couple of mates at work own them at the moment. Its pretty much common knowledge that the silvertop didn't have solid lifters. The change in cam cover coincided with the changes to the cylinder head associated with the move from hydraulic to shim.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The colour of the cam cover isn't important, the big difference is the "E" after "Zetec", which is cast in the *black* cam cover :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Why did they shift from hydraulic to shims? I've found hydraulics far better for long term maintenance.

I've also gotta to look at the colour of my cam cover now....

Reply to
Sheepdip

Given Ford's reputation for buggering up hydraulic tappets, the move to shims can only be a good thing.

(Yes, I had a CVH Scrote)

Reply to
SteveH

In message , "Tony Bond (UncleFista)" writes

Its not that simple. The earlier Blacktops (like mine) have "16v Zetec" cast on the black cover. Also Ford on their TIS refer to the silvertops as "Zetec E's"

Reply to
Paul Giverin

So explain 2000 Escort's with silver tops.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

I don't have to. We all know that the Escort overlapped the Focus by a year or so and that they carried on using the silvertop rather than re-engine it for its last year. Its still a silvertop with hydraulic lifters.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Focus was introduced end 98/start 99. Last Escort sold was a 51 plate. Post

98 Escorts used solid lifter Zetec-E's. End of. Look anywhere, I'm telling ya :)

Anyway. The 1.6 Escort used a different 1.6 to that in the Focus. It used the 1.6 that's found in the Fiesta Zetec-S Mk4, easily spotted with the inlet manifold at the front. They stopped making 1.8 Escorts when the Focus launched.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts