High fuel consumption with A6

Hi,

I have a '99 A6 Avant 2.4 V6 (UK model). The fuel consumption has always been poor (24-28mpg) but recently it has got worse (18mpg). Before I pay a garage a load of money is there anything I should be looking for?

I can't find a service manual for this car in the UK (Haynes don't do one).

TIA, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Check the air filter, if its clogged up this could cause poor fuel consumption,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Mark, Chances are that something has gone awry, like an oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, or the like. There's probably a fault code logged by the engine management system, you just have to read the code. Unfortunately, your car probably requires a hookup and computer program to read the codes, like VAG-COM. If you're planning to do most of the maintenance yourself (electrical troubleshooting, etc.), then it may be a good idea to invest in a reading program.

hasdeveloped one that's cheaper than the one the dealer uses - they havepricing on the web......wonder why the garage charges so much just to plugone in? The folks at Audiworld may have some suggestions as well. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks again Steve for your response. I did think about a sensor fault but I had assumed that there would be some kind of warning light on the dash to indicate this. Is this not the case with Audi?

I've looked at the VAG-COM product, but it's a bit expensive for occasional use. I guess I'll just take it the the garage. It's due a service anyway.

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

I'll do this --- if I can find it ;-)