Kleen Wheels?

My '99 Audi A6 Quattro generates a significant amount of brake dust .. has anyone used products like Kleen Wheels:

to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and effective.

Thanks!

Reply to
Thundersmash

The only thing that I would worry about would be overheating the brakes by restricting the airflow. Products like that have been around for years. The way I would address the problem would be to install a good set of low dust brake pads like PBR/Axxis/Repco Metal Masters (pick one--they're all the same).

Reply to
Scott McKernon

It would work very well, until your discs are destroyed from over-heating. Devices like this are not recommended by any mechanic I have ever talked with. Such devices screw up the airflow to the brakes, causing a rise in temp.

My RS6 produces more brake dust than any disc brakes car I've ever owned (5 Audis and a Porsche with discs). I clean them twice a week. It's a bit of a pain, however......d;o)

Dave

Dave LaCourse

I hate the brake dust on my A4, are these pads 'rotor friendly'??

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I have installed the Mintex Red-box brake pads on my 2000 Audi S4 - Its WAYYYY better than the factory pads. You still need to clean the wheels every so often - but right now its been almost a month since I have cleaned the wheels...

-Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

If you are using OE or better quality rotors like Brembo, Ate, Zimmermann etc., wear should not be a concern. If your rotors are worn, replace them. As Adam wrote, Mintex are also very good pads. The problem with the OE stuff is that they all produce massive amounts of black dust. I recommended Metal Masters because in my experience, they produce the least amount of dust.

Reply to
Scott McKernon

Have been using PBR Deluxe on an E34 530, E46 323 and an A4.

Much, MUCH better as to dusting, and no rotor problems at all with Bradi, Brembo, and BMW OE rotors. --

| > to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and | > effective. | >

| > Thanks! | >

| |

Reply to
spare-me-spam

They're definitely effective. I got a pair on my 'newest' E28 BMW and they work quite well. HOWEVER ...

They work by inhibiting airflow out of the wheel. While they're vented, it's not enough to compensate in high speed braking or repeated heavy braking such as you'd see in mountains, etc. I have experienced fade from the OEM BMW pads in a few casual laps at Road America and maybe one other time when I was driving 'briskly' on the street. In normal ('sane') driving, though, I've had no problems with them. I will be removing them for future track events.

IMO, a set of PBR (fka Axxis fka Repco) Metalmaster pads is a more effective use of your funds. They cost nearly the same.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Do you notice more dust on the front or rear?? My 03 A4 generates a TON of brake dust on the rear rims... I think that's very odd..

Reply to
Troy Bruder