Looking to buy an Audi 80 TDI

I've had it with modern diesels, having suffered a failured turbocharger (and subsequent destruction of the engine) and now a failed fuel pump I can no longer sustain the high repair costs of my Vauxhall Astra 2.0 DTI.

Looking to buy an older (back to basics) Audi 80 diesel....

Just wondering what faults have people had with them ?

( The Astra fuel pump is costing £1300, the main dealer wanted £2200 !!!!!! )

The message from "J" contains these words:

Which engine? I've the straight five which seems OK. It's done

250,000ish and still goes well.
Reply to
Guy King

Looking at the 1.9 TDI but keeping my options open.

No major problems with yours then ? Parts prices reasonable ?

The message from "J" contains these words:

Dunno - it's a 2.5 TDi and I've never needed any spares! Well, that's not entirely true, the rear wiper delay relay was iffy so I got one from the breakers for a quid and both front squirters' heaters had died. Under £25 for the pair.

Reply to
Guy King

The 2.5 TDI 5 straight was built into an Audi 80?

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

The message from Wolfgang Pawlinetz contains these words:

Good question - dunno.

Reply to
Guy King

I have an audi 80 TDI.

Problems on high milers like mine is they tend to burm oil caused by the valve stem seals. Oil leaks around the sump. Water pump goes as do the radiators but they can be replaced easily. Done a water pump in under an hour, plenty of space to get to it. The one thing to look for is the alternator belt tensioner pulley (plastic), they tend to go around 100k, but can be replaced for under =A325, hardest part is the putting back on the belt, you have to take the tension off the pulley by pulling down the wheel using a spanner. Cornering is a bit wully, but you get use to that. Electric windows modulators go, but i got one of ebay.

Changing oil filters are a complete swine to get at, after you have undone the filter you have to slide it out by going down through the engine bay and then under the car, i tend to rest the oil filter on the cross member then crawl under the car and retrieve it. Still haven't found a better way after numerous oil changes.

Interiors are good and body work very good. I average 45 mpg at 80 mph.

weakest part of the car is the brakes, replaced several calipers as they stick and freeze on. Costing around =A365 each, not that expensive. Usually shop at my local accessory shop or eurocarparts.

Heated front seats are fantastic. Not all models have them, look for a slider button on the dashboard in the middle.

Overall not a bad car, running mine into the ground as i can't find anything better without forking out at least 5-7k

Reply to
chip_one