Normal engine oil consumption for Audi A6 2.4 V6 model 2002?

What is the normal engine oil consumption for the car mentioned in the subject? Mine has 66.000 km (41.000 miles) in it, and I have to add oil every 5.000 km (3.100 miles). I would like to know your own experiences, not owners manual figures, which says even 1 litres / 1000 km.

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

I have a 2003 A4 with same engine - 32,000 miles on it. It is getting better with more miles but still uses about 1 litre every 2000 miles.

What oil do you use?

Reply to
Steve West

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 and the oil consumption is 1 litre per 2000 miles also and it now has 90,000 miles. The consumption has been the same since I got it at 50,000 miles. I use Castrol SLX Longlife 2 on the variable servicing regime which I think exaggerates the consumption. I think I will use a different oil next service to see if it makes any difference.

Hope this helps

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Why would relatively recent cars be burning oil? Is this normal?

cp

Reply to
cp

I am using Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn (long-life oil)

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

FWIW, my 2000 A4 1.8TQ; which now has 107K miles; has never burned any oil between its 5K mile changes. Mobil-1 from new.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

So those cars are definitely not normal, lemons?

cp

Reply to
cp

Yes it's the long life oil I use too - I agree I think the low viscosity has something to do with the consumption. Having said that the car runs great so no real complaints and I won't be trying a different oil. Just a pity the Castrol oil is so expensive!

Reply to
Steve West

I am also using longlife - but Castrol SLX longlife 2. I think the low viscosity of this type of oil is partly to blame for the high consumption.

Reply to
Steve West

I wouldn't call them lemons no - but a lot of these cars seem to suffer high oil consumption. There is much discussion in Audi circles as to the reason why this is - with break-in procedure and oil type being the widely accepted two main factors.

For more info and literally hundreds of posts on the matter - go to:

and search for 'oil consumption'.

Cheers

Reply to
Steve West

Aren't most engines broken in before delivery?

I read some reasoning for oil consumption by BMW, something to do with aluminum head expansion and contraction....

cp

Reply to
cp

I was told when I purchased my car that the only break-in really required was with the brakes - that is, to try and avoid slamming them on for the first 500 miles or so, so the 'seat' properly. When asked about the engine, I was told, just drive it from Day One as you'll drive it during it's life. But I used the same method I have on all of our new cars - try to keep it under 3,000 rpm fr the first 500 miles and under 4,000 for the first 1,000 miles.

My oil consumption is neglible between my 5,000 mile oil changes using OEM filter and M1 0w-40. 22,000 miles on the car.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

head expansion and contraction....

I think they are broken in to a degree but not completely. Otherwise the owners manual wouldn't say to take it easy for the first 1000 miles or whatever.

I've read that the Audi v6 engine in question has chrome plated piston rings which are very hard - if you take it too easy when the engine is new the theory is they never 'seat' with the bores properly so you suffer oil consumption due to blow by past the rings on the compression stroke.

Reply to
Steve West

Dan I followed more of less the same procedure for break-in as you but my car has always used loads of oil. I use the Castrol SLX Longlife I oil here in the UK though and this seems to have a reputation for burning off.

Reply to
Steve West