Re: 2005 Accord Oil Consumption: How much is too much?

I"m wanting to know how much oil consumption is too much? Is it what the factory would lead one to believe?

I find it hard to believe, and disgusted that I'm expected to believe that 1 quart per 1000 miles is the acceptable limit.

My 05 Accord, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual, 40 mile commute each way uses far less, but still uses some.

I'm in a debate wether I should just add oil and not indicate to the dealer that it consumes oil, so I can trade it in, and say hell with it. They never told me. I won't tell them. OR find out more about this oil consumption test, and what it entails. And more importantly what they'll do about it, if it doesnt meet the 'excess of 1 quart/1000 mile".

I have never missed a scheduled appointment. I keep my tires inflated. I do run it at 70-75 mph for a good part of my commute. I warm it up well, and I get 28 - 31 mpg tank to tank.

I'd say that I'm using 1/2 a dipstick mark in 3200 miles.

22,400 miles on the car, and the consumption has seemed the same, throughout, since new..

Please advise. let me get this straite George your saying that when you pull the dipstick to check the oil the oil level is in between the low & middle right? so its half way on the dipstick correct? witch is about half a bottle of oil thats low. after 3.200miles witch in canadian is about 6.000kms". well george "theres always a small amount of oil thats needed to lubricate piston rings" and is then burned in the combustion chamber this is normal woulden"t you agree TeGGeR?

Reply to
johnin

I agree that 1 qt/1K is too much high a bar for warranty claims. I think it should be at least 1qt/2K or better 1qt/3K. For an out of warranty car, you can decide for yourself what level of oil consumption is acceptable, but I certainly wouldn't rebuild the engine unless it was more than 1qt/1K.

You aren't even close to 1 qt./1000 miles. You are about 1 qt./ 6400 miles if the measurement below is accurate.

Some oil consumption is perfectly normal, especially when driven at high speeds. Just check it every fourth fill-up or so and when it gets a half qt. low, add a half qt. This is part of operating the vehicle. As a driver, you are responsible for basic maintenance and inspection of your vehicle. You need to check and even add air to the tires also.

You may need to rebuild the engine when it gets to 250,000 miles. Better sell it now.

check the oil the oil level is in between the low & middle right? so its half way on the dipstick correct? witch is about half a bottle of oil thats low. after 3.200miles witch in canadian is about 6.000kms". well george "theres always a small amount of oil thats needed to lubricate piston rings" and is then burned in the combustion chamber this is normal woulden"t you agree TeGGeR?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew