Oil change procedure for Audi A6 Multitronic automatic model 2002

Anyone knows the procedure for Audi A6 Multitronic ATF oile change? How it is done? How the oil level is checked after fill-up? What special equipment is needed?

There seems to be no information at all in the internet how this oil change is done, and no-one seems to know. Everybody are just saying take it to the Audi service :)

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Audi claims that the trans is filled for the life of the vehicle but in the real world changing is required but unlikely at the miles you probably have on an '02 model.

If you are determined to do this DIY then here are a few ideas:

There is no dipstick and one can not be fitted.

Oil level is set at the factory and barring leaks should not change. The condition of the trans is computer monitored and error codes are retrievable. I think that the oil level is a function of the temperature that is monitored.

Changing requires having the car up in the air to allow easy access to the underside of the trans. There is a drain plug forward on the trans pan. If you open this be VERY careful to accurately measure the amount of oil that drains out. Then replace the drain plug.

You will find a 17mm Allen or torx depending on model. This will be removed to provide access to an area that has a wall on one side. You sill need to have a pump that is able to pump the replacement oil up over the wall and refill to the same volume that was previously drained out.

I would strongly recommend paying your Audi dealer for the correct liquid gold that they stock for this purpose.

Following replacement let idle in neutral for a bit before driving.

Hopefully you will not get any error codes.

A number of people have had to have their cars towed to the dealer after DIY oil changes where they mistakenly drained the trans rather than the engine oil. My son did that on his '98 A4 2.8 tip at 11:30 on a Sunday night in the middle of the winter so we had a learning experience under the gun.

T> Anyone knows the procedure for Audi A6 Multitronic ATF oile change? How it

Reply to
Tony

Thanks a lot Tony for your quite clear description. One question still: does all the oil come out via the drain plug? Or will there be places where it does not come out with the help of the gravity? :) If there are, how the rest of the oil can be changed or is there actually any need to get that out? It will mix with the new oil of course.

Best regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Reply to
Tony

Thanks again Tony. I became a bit curious about this oil change procedure, because other than Audi service companies just told me that they do not have all the needed equipment to do the job. So I was wondering what can be so special here :) Anyway, I am most probably taking my car to a Audi service and suffer from the extra price.

BR, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Reply to
Tony

I got an estimate from Audi dealer 220 ? (about $280) here in Finland.

BR, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

I think that we spent about $US80 for the Audi oil X 4 quarts. The $280 sounds like a fair price for a dealership plus they should be able to get it done right.

I am still th> I got an estimate from Audi dealer 220 ? (about $280) here in Finland. >

Reply to
Tony

I guess the price is affordable, but just to compare the prise with the whole 60.000 km service, which was 250 EUR, it sounds bit high. You may be right that there is no need to change the ATF oil yet. I it's just my nature trying to take care of my belongings :) And if service schedule lists this job, even as optional, I think there is areason for that, so I would like to go for it. But, thanks for sharing your info Tony, and it was nice to chat with you. Have a nice coming summer!

BR, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen