Re: OPINION:Quality and Passion Declining in European Automakers

(please note;this is crossposted to Mercedes,BMW,Jaguar,Audi and

>Volvo)Although I am a fan of 70s' and 80s' European automobiles,I can >not help notice this trend all across the board!Rust on new Mercedes >and BMW,plastic on the exteriors of Volvo,and so on.......Who do you >see as the dominate automaker,say,10 years from now?What is a realistic >life expectancy of 2000 and newer European automobile and are you truly >happy with your purchase(do you feel cheated)?In your opinion,what >item(s)need to be done away with or improved?Hopefully,all those whom >respond understand that it is not my intention to start a bash war,just >want to hear opinions from fellow European automotive enthusiast!

I've been driving Audis for the past 25 years. I live in New England where Quattro is a welcome feature. I feel that Audis have improved over the years. I have seen no rust since the '86 I owned.

Since 1990, I've owned a 90 Turbo Quattro wagon, 1994 S4, 2000 A6 4.2, and currently a 2003 RS6. I have experienced very few troubles with any of these automobiles. When I buy a new one, the old Audi goes to my son-in-law for a very reasonable price. He too has experienced no problems with them, and when he is finished with them, they go to his sons. The S4 was in perfect condition until about 6 months ago when it was rear-ended by a careless woman driving an SUV and totalled by the insurance company. It had 145,000 miles on the odo. My grandson gave it loving care making sure the oil was changed regularly, and the timing belt changed on schedule. Of course being young and all, he put on 19 inch wheels, had it lowered. You could tell by looking at it that it was a kid's car. d;o) My former 2000 A6 4.2 now has

130,000 miles on it, and except for some worn leather on the driver's seat, it is in perfect condition.

I love my RS6. There are only a few automobiles out there that are as fast. When winter comes, I put on the four snow tires and go wherever I need to. It is a fantastic automobile.

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse