Re: Quattro service

Vic, He probably wrote the part in the US manual about long timing belt change intervals - one is good for a car's LIFEtime if that life is cut short by a blown motor. Dirt gets into fuel tanks and works its way through to the filter. Even though the transmission and diffs are lubricated, there will be *some* wear and resultant dirtying of the lubricant. They're "sealed", in that they don't have a dipstick, but that doesn't mean that they don't get dirt in there. If you look at the car up on the hoist, you should see the drain/fill plugs on the tranny and diff. Show them that. Were they afraid to take your money or something? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
When I had my timing belt & 60,000 mile tune up done on my A4 last > month, I also requested service (lubricant change) on my front (manual > trans) and rear differentials, as instructed by the Chilton's service > manual. The service advisor at the dealer said that these were sealed > components and did not ever need servicing. He also said the same > thing about the fuel filter, good for the life of the car. > > Does anyone have similar experience? > > Thanks > -- > Vic > 2000 Mustang GT > suspension upgrades > 1997 A4 2.8q >
Steve Sears