TPM: Extra hardware or VAG-tweak?

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system being offered for $250 on current Audis: Does anyone know what type it is? =20

  1. Direct measurement, with pressure sensor transmitters in the tires, and a receiver in the car.

  1. Indirect, where the wheel speeds are compared via the ABS sensors and the wheel that spins faster is assumed to be the low pressure one.

If it's #2, it may be just software, already loaded in ROM, and ready to enable with VAG tool..=20

Doug Warner

I can't be sure about the most recent cars, but the TPM in my 2003 RS6 is definitely of the first type - quite a bit of hardware is involved!

Reply to
Peter Bell