A6 1.8T stalling

I have a '98 A6 1.8T Auto (UK) and it has recently been stalling when idling. It's tick-over speed is about 5-600 rpm but it sometimes dips below this and then stalls. What should the engine speed be on idle? The other worrying factor is that when the engine cuts out, the steering locks. Is this right because if it is what would happen if the engine cut out at high speed?

Reply to
grafix

According to my information, the engine speed at idle should be between

760 and 960 rpm, so I guess that you should expect 860rpm as a norm.

I suspect that what you are noticing is the lack of power assistance when the engine stops. The steering is not 'locked', it just becomes extremely heavy. You shouldn't really be attempting to turn the steering whilst the car is stationary - that puts a tremendous load on all the steering components. When the car is moving, it should be possible to steer without power assistance, though you may require muscles like Popeye!

Reply to
Peter Bell