More questions after A4 test drive...

Just dropped by the dealer to get some photos of a new A4 Avant. A salesperson convinced me to take a test drive (3.2 V6 & tip)

A few things I noticed:

  1. Throttle response is a lot better than it is in my 94 Volvo turbo wagon (no lag).
  2. It seems to be quicker, or very close at least. =20
  3. The tip in manual mode seems to shift a bit faster than it did in the 2001's, but it's still sluggish.

A few new questions:

  1. The sales person kept stressing that it has "SERVOTRONIC" steering instead of the lowly rack & pinion steering that "other" cars have.. Now, I'm sure it still has R&P mechanicals, with variable assist.. Does anyone know if the assist is via the usual hydraulics, or are they now using an electric motor, (As GM has for years now).?

  1. Can the dual climate control be reprogrammed as single control? As a single driver, I really want to avoid adjusting two controls every time I want to change the cabin temp.=20

  2. Can the A/C be turned off, while maintaining automatic temp control via fresh air? (I only want to compressor to run when I want it to.)

  1. Are all fault codes still available to owners? (I don't just mean the emissions-releated codes, I want to know the reason for ANY controller's DTC.

  2. Is the tire pressure monitoring system a direct measurement system, that displays the actual pressure in each tire, or an indirect system, that looks for wheel speed differences via the ABS sensors?

  1. Does the Bose stereo system play music file CD's? If so, what types?

Doug Warner

Beacause it's a N/A not a Turbo,

It prob is, it has 250bhp and is 11 years newer than a 94 Volvo

Buy a manual :)

Dont't know tbh, but I am sure its still R&P

Yes hold down AUTO on the drivers side for 5 secs to swap between single or dual control

Yes, just press the ECON button,

Buy a VAG-COM and check for yourself

God knows lol :)

There is no "bose" stereo system as such, Bose refers to the speakers/AMP not the headunit, and all Audi Head units play burnt CD's but none play MP3 yet, the new NAV+ has 2 x SDCARD slots for memory cards.

Reply to
Ronny

It's still hydraulic. Servotronic is just their fancy name for speed sensitive steering. I think it works quite nicely on my S4.

Not sure. However, I usually don't muck with the settings all that often. I basically leave mine at 72 degrees and never touch it.

Yes, you just hit the "Econ" button.

Should be but you will need a VAG-Tool (VAG-COM) to get access to all of the system controllers. See

for additional details.

Can't help with that one.

Haven't tried it but I think it should handle MP3's just fine.

- Charlie '04 S4 MT6 '03 Passat 4-Motion Wagon

Reply to
Charlie Giannetto