10W-60 oil availability

My son has a new M Series BMW and is in Germany. The dealer charged him 240 Euro for the oil during the oil change. I need to know if there is any other source for the oil at a cheaper price. In Fl. a dealer charged us $130 for 12 Qt case which he took back to Germany after Thanksgiving holidays. Castrol website doesn't even mention it except on their UK pages. There they refer to it as CASTROL EDGE 10W-60 Oil. I read also BMW may be using Mobil Synthetic as a replacement in the future but no word from BMW yet. Anyone useing this or similar oil? Any ideas where to get it? Thanks

Reply to
Phantom

I don't know about Germany, but in the USA the scheduled oil changes are free for 4 years with the E60 M5. In fact, they are free for all new BMW cars.

The E60 M5 uses some oil though ... as much as a liter per 1000 miles during the break in period. Again, here in the USA, the dealers give you a couple of liter bottles at a time (free) if you ask for it. Is the BMW policy different in Germany? I've looked for it (Castrol 10w-60) but nobody carries it other than the dealerships.

Eisboch

Reply to
RCE

Hahaha. Yes only in the states do you get things like that and extended warranties on bad engines etc. I Europe I believe the norm is

1 year warranty with no service plan and if anythuign goes wrong during the warranty BMW will likely contest that it's "a feature" not a failure.

Castrol edge or edge sport can be got in 10w60 but I don't know what the differences are. Some places sell them (in the UK at least) in 25 litre barrels.

Reply to
adder1969

I think I remember that here in the USA, engines .... car, trucks, boats, etc. ... must be capable of using any oil that meets the recommended service requirements. If the manufacturer specifies a non-standard or specific type of oil, they must provide it for free, by law.

Reply to
RCE

Love to see a cite for that as I don't believe it is correct. I believe the original was that if they require you to get the product only from them (i.e. a matching product isn't available elsewhere). Doesn't mean they can't require 10-60 but 10-30 MUST work.

Also think it is an urban legend.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Certainly with the "Free" maintenance, any oil that needed to be added would be part of the plan. As to a law? Hogwash!

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

not sure about addrer1969 - despite an apparent UK/ GB address does not know BMWs here in Britain have a 3 year warranty.

Also I recall issues years ago with a 6 cylinder engine and BMW had them repaired out of warranty so long as they had been serviced "properly"

Now what else do you want to slag off in the UK?

Taxes too high ? lowest total take in western europe/eastern europeans risking their lives to get here! :-))

Reply to
lurkio

The food and weather ;-)

I keep forgetting that britain is part of europe.

The point I was making is that in the US, BMW NA seems to have a much better customer service program than over here.

Reply to
adder1969

I should be more clear. If a manufacturer requires a specific, OEM brand oil only, then they must supply it. Otherwise, the vehicle must be able to use any brand that meets the technical specifications of the OEM brand. The owner's manual of the E60 M5 (V10) specifically states that the 10-60 Castrol oil is required, although 10-40 may be temporarily substituted if oil is required and the 10-60 is not available. BMW supplies Castrol 10-60 synthetic free (name branded as BMW oil) because it is currently not available anywhere else.

Reply to
RCE

Magnuson-Moss act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Magnuson-Moss act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Exactly where is the dealer providing the TWS oil for free? I want to get some..

And Turner Motorsports and a number of other secondary market sources (not BMW) will happily sell you Castrol TWS, so BMW is not the only supplier.

I think you were trying to be too clear.

To the other poster - everyone except (apparently) RCE in the US who has an M5 or M3 requiring the Castrol TWX 10W-60 oil is paying for it.

Reply to
admin

Not exactly, but it does apply. BMW does not, however, require Castrol oil. For example, my M3 manual states:

10W-60 API SJ/CF

Doesn't mention Castrol anywhere

Reply to
Tom Scales

That's many people's theory, but the actual wording of the act does not state that.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Look ... not looking for an argument, but facts are facts. Anytime I needed oil for either of the two E-60 M5's that I had, I simply drove to the dealer, told them I needed some oil and they handed me a couple of liter bottles. Other M5 owners across the country have reported the same.

Sorry if you have to pay for it.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Can you please share your dealer's name?

Reply to
Tom Scales

This is while you're still under factory fully paid maintenance? Sure - then they'll give it to you since they can bill BMW-NA for it. Once you're out of maintenance you'll be paying with your dime.

Reply to
admin

Sure. Norwell BMW Gallery.

But also true for most BMW dealerships, from talking to other M5 owners across the USA.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

You may be correct. I don't know. I do know that it became a small issue because of the high oil consumption of the V-10 in the E60 M5, particularly during the break-in period.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

How many miles on these cars? Country?