Re: Castrol Syntec Update?

"bfd" wrote in news:1108406852.927321.12820 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

In the US, BMW synthetic oil is supposedly made by Castrol and the same > as its Syntec. If that is true, then those who want to maintain their > cars according to BMW service requirements can use Castro Syntec as an > alternative.

FWIW, I just stopped by my dealers parts department and they told me that the BMW full synthetic oil ($4.98 per quart) is *NOT* the same as anything currently sold under the Castrol name. According to the them, it contains extra "additives" specifically designed for BMW engines.

Reply to
Bob

Hands up, everybody that believes that.

Just checking.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Actually - I do. I've seen oil analysis that were done on other BMW oils, and on oils from the same company that produces the oil for BMW. The additive packages were quite a bit different.

I see no reason why BMW wouldn't and couldn't and didn't specify a different additive package. If you have some reason to think this - quit with the smart-ass and let us all know. Otherwise.. it's just your opinion.

Reply to
Don

Just my opinion, smart-ass remark retracted. I'm rather surprised, actually, given all the hundreds of types of oil that already exist, that they felt the need to blend something themselves -- and given that, shouldn't we all be worried that we aren't using BMW oil in our cars? The last being the real reason for my skepticism.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Which part, that BMW synthetic oil is not the same as anything sold under the Castrol name or that the BMW synthetic oil contains extra additives specifically designed for BMW engines?! The former is a fact, at least for Castrol products sold in the USA, so yes, I believe that. The latter, I don't know.

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

Sorry Russ, you're wrong. BMW lubricants sold at dealerships all contain an extra additive (referred to as IVA-Invisible Value Added), to ensure it meets the "IMLS" (Insane Markup Lubricants Standard) specifications.

Now-hands up again?

Okay, you can all lower your hands. (Both of them Russ).

Reply to
tech27

You may very well be right about the additives, but I think the focus here is on why the price is so high. Unless they can justify this, people will just assume that it's the old "pay through the nose at the dealer" thing.

I would gladly pay the price if it could be explained to me and justified.

Reply to
tech27

I was told the same thing by the BMW dealer I buy my oil from. Their parts dept charges only $3.80 per qt. This is less expensive than any other synthetic oil that I see at the auto parts stores. I buy the oil filter at the same time and they are only $8.50. That's even cheaper than most auto parts stores. Who would have thunk you can get such a deal at the dealer?

Reply to
Joel Novak

What high price are you talking about? The other poster said it's $4.98 at his dealer. The BMW synthetic oil has an MSRP of $4.80, according to my last receipt, but my BMW dealer charged me $3.60/qt with my BMWCCA discount last September. I went to Pep Boys and Mobil

1 synthetic costs $5.29/qt. At AutoZone, Castrol Syntec used to cost $4.99/qt. In fact, I've never seen a brand name full synthetic oil for less than about $4/quart which is at Costco for a 6qt Mobil-1 container at just under $24.
Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

Sorry, I didn't check prices. I just assumed the OP was complaining about the cost.

Reply to
tech27

Good one!

For the M3 the only oil specified is the BMW one which in the UK is ~US$20 a quart. This makes for US$250 oil changes.

Reply to
adder1969

My dealer charges 12 gbp a litre for BMW fully synth as used on most of their non M series cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly. And lots of US dealers offer 10-20% discounts off THESE prices if you are a member of the BMW Car Club of America. Combine that with the $500-1000 kickbacks BMW-NA sends you for being a member and buying a new BMW ($$$ depends on the model, but also includes $500 for CPO cars, have to be a CCA member for 1 year or more..) and you gotta be a fool NOT to be a CCA member.

For those interested: - and no, I'm only a member (of quite a few years) who finds value in the club.

Reply to
Don