Synthetic Oil for GMC 2004 HD2500

This has probably been asked many times, I am going to switch to synthetic oil on my GMC 04 /HD2500 with 2200 miles. Should I just flush the 5/30 oil out and change the filter, then add the synthetic oil?, or should I use a product to completely flush out the system, then add the synthetic oil. Also what synthetic oil is the best.

Thanks

Reply to
TrAsK

6.0 liter
Reply to
TrAsK

Synthetic is completely compatible with dino oils, so you don't have to "flush" the system out. Just pull the drain plug, change the filter, put the plug back, fill er' up and be on your way.

I'm a huge fan of Mobil 1, but that's just me. Others prefer Valvoline or Castrol Synthetics.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thank You

Reply to
TrAsK

Mobile 1 for the last 8 years.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

true synthetics on the market to date:

Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State(Made by Pennzoil) Wal Mart Tech 200 Made by Quaker State, a Pennzoil subsidiary.

Valvoline, Castrol and Texaco are Hydro Cracked Fossil oils.

So as Doc said: "Mobil 1" and the other two are Corvette certified.

Chevrolet insists on pure polyester resin Synthetic Oil. You make the choice from here.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Why no mention of Amsoil?

Reply to
Paul in Redland

Because the supposed difference in quality A) doesn't offer you substantially better protection than Mobil 1 at about half the cost, and B) doesn't make up for having to put up with the multi-level marketing sales pitch over and over and over again.

The simple truth is that any engine would die long before you run it to the point where Mobil 1 breaks down from some non-oil-lubricated part failing. The extra "quality" and moreso the extra price (and aggrevation and inconvenience) just isn't worth any perceived level of extra protection you might or might not get, and most certainly won't benefit from.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

From what I've heard of Amsoil:

I didn't want to get flamed like a witch at the stake.

Sorry, just a matter of personal skin safety.

Sincerely,

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Smart move. :-)

At only 2,200 miles, I don't think you have any worries about sludge or dirt having accumulated. So, no need to flush anything, just do a normal oil change.

The pioneering industry leader; AMSOIL synthetic lubricants. :-)

(comparative test results available via e-mail for anyone that is interested).

All the Best, Steve 15 year independent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer Offering wholesale prices to all Dealerships available E-mail me for details

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

High Temperature/High Shear (ASTM D-4683)

The High Temperature/High Shear Test measures a lubricant's viscosity under severe high temperature and shear conditions that resemble highly-loaded journal bearings in fired internal combustion engines. In order to prevent bearing wear, it is important for a lubricant to maintain its protective viscosity under severe operating conditions. The minimum High Temperature/High Shear viscosity for a 30 weight oil is 2.9 cP. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil surpasses this minimum standard and displayed the highest High Temperature/High Shear viscosity in the group. The superior viscosity retention of AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil in the face of severe temperature and shear conditions allows it to provide continuous, unsurpassed protection for engine bearings, extending equipment life and preventing wear.

10W-30 Viscosity

AMSOIL

-------------------3.51 cP Quaker State Peak Performance -----------------------------3.37 Castrol GTX Drive Hard --------------------------------------3.35 Valvoline Syn Power ---------------------------------3.30 Mobil 1 Super Syn Power -------------------------3.30 Valvoline ----------------------------------------------3.28 Mobil Drive Clean -----------------------------3.20 Pennzoil with Purebase ----------------3.16 Quaker State Synthetic --------------3.15 Pennzoil Synthetic -------------------3.14 Castrol Syntec ----------------------3.13

March 2003 test results

Standard industry oil test results aren't sales pitches. Just facts. :-) AMSOIL typically costs much less to use than Mobil 1 or other synthetics.

There are many other reasons to use a superior performing synthetic lubricant than just extended engine life. Benefits such as improved fuel economy, lower emissions, more power, better throttle response, reduced engine temperatures, easier winter starts, an internally cleaner engine are just some of the othe benefits the user of a superior performing synthetic oil will enjoy. :-)

All the Best, Steve 15 year independent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer Offering wholesale prices to all Dealerships available E-mail me for details

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Spammer!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Warning, the below message contains AMSOIL spamming spewage.........................

Reply to
"Doc"

Top ratings seem to go with "Red Line" but I doubt that it is worth the extra cost for normal use. Hard to find too. I have used Mobil 1 since it was first introduced. Very satisified.

Reply to
HRL

(Much Snipped)

The basic fact is that no numbers, no mattern how they were obtained or who commisioned them, can prove that any engine will benefit from the marginal difference that Amsoil provides over any other well-known brand of synthetic motor oil.

The other wear, drivability and operational benefits you claim for Amsoil are the same as any other brand of synthetic oil.

My basic argument still stands on it's own merits - for the marginal difference that Amsoil offers over another synthetic motor oil such as Mobil

1, a user will not reap any additional benefits. None of the numbers that you've shown - or could show - could contradict this statement. More than likely, any motor will die from failure of some other non-oil-lubricated part long before the user will reach the point at which Mobil 1 will break down. Using almost any other brand of fully synthetic oil over Amsoil is cheaper, more convenient, and doesn't expose the user to the rabid sales spamming and Multi-Level Marketing pitch that we've all come to know and love from our beloved Amsoil dealers.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Amen brother.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

So your contention is that all oils are the same and there are no differences? Can you support this with fleet test results, lab test results, etc? :-)

Again, ? :-)

AMSOIL has 25,000 mile or one year drain intervals, warranted. The lower performing synthetic oils only recommend standard drain intervals, making them very expensive to use compared to AMSOIL. Many other comparisons also apply. :-)