1988 BMW 735i Fuel Gage Meter not working

I have run out of gas twice while the meter still was not on "E".

Is the needle sticking? If you tap on it, does it drop?
If not, it might be worth just swapping out the sending unit. It may be getting stuck with the float up in the air.
I believe on this car, dropping the tank and changing out the sending unit is a major pain in the neck, however. Not something you want to do without a lift. --scott

without
--
Access the fuel tank through the trunk floor. No need to drop the tank. The
fuel level sender can be replaced without removing the whole pump assembly.
On Apr 20, 5:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Thanks Scott! I will try that today.

I was wrong, though... the other reply is correct, changing out the sending unit can be done without dropping the tank on this car. This makes it MUCH easier to do, and it makes it possible to pull it and inspect it. It may just be a bent rod or something you can free up yourself without having to replace the whole thing. --scott