2001 M3

hey , what horsepower increase might i expect from installing a B & B exhaust system along with a power chip from " turner motorsports " ? TIA , Dick

Reply to
D.

It seems to me that you could find this out with a visit to the respective Websites.

Unless you are going to track the car, I can't see any reason to spend the money on these things. The car can already easily exceed any known speed limit, and do it quicker than most of the other cars out there.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would not say they do nothing, I would say that what they do is not very useful for a daily driver. If you wanted to race your car on a track (we all know that street racing is illegal, and none of us ever do things that are illegal) then you would realize a gain from these expensive modifications.

If you climb in every morning and afternoon, plying the freeways of the region back and forth to the office, I don't think you will be able to appreciate the money you spent.

For the record, I had a Jeep CJ5 that was carburated and had a 6-into-1 exhaust manifold. I paid roughly $3,000 for a Multi Port Fuel Injection system and a header. The gains were HUGE. The money spent produced both performance and reliability improvements that were significant.

So, I'm not opposed to the mods, per se. I just happen to think that BMW builds a damn fine car, and the exhaust is tuned about as well as an exhaust can be, and the computer is programmed about as well as a computer can be programmed. Jeep, on the other hand (in 1981) left lots of performance on the table ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This is a particularly true statement. In older BMWs with OBD I, i.e., those build in the early to mid 90s, a "chip" actually made alot of sense because back then, BMW tuned their car for the "average" driver who used *regular gas,* i.e., 87 octane. So, adding a chip would tune the car for "super" gas, i.e., 91+ octane, and could extract anywhere from 10-50hp and 10-50ft-lb of torque. You actually noticed the difference.

However, on today's cars, with all the competition from other mfrs like Nissan, Audi, Lexus IF, etc., BMW pretty much tunes its cars for "super" gas to maximize the power. Go to Turner's website or whereever you plan to get your parts and you'll see very little if any gains. Good Luck!

Reply to
Brewster Fong

thanks to both of you . you gave me the info i was looking for . Dick

This is a particularly true statement. In older BMWs with OBD I, i.e., those build in the early to mid 90s, a "chip" actually made alot of sense because back then, BMW tuned their car for the "average" driver who used *regular gas,* i.e., 87 octane. So, adding a chip would tune the car for "super" gas, i.e., 91+ octane, and could extract anywhere from 10-50hp and 10-50ft-lb of torque. You actually noticed the difference.

However, on today's cars, with all the competition from other mfrs like Nissan, Audi, Lexus IF, etc., BMW pretty much tunes its cars for "super" gas to maximize the power. Go to Turner's website or whereever you plan to get your parts and you'll see very little if any gains. Good Luck!

Reply to
D.

Ask them? And get it in writing before wasting your money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

I want to elaborate on Jeff's answers a little.

The E46 M3 has a _VERY_ highly tuned engine. In fact, they had a couple of early problems with bearings (poor quality control partly to blame) and the fact that it has an extremely high redline. BMW had to replace engines, and in fact lowered the redline - which results in loss of performance!

Any replacement of the standard software on an M3 will very likely result in shorter engine lifetime, and is unlikely to greatly increase power and performance. Now, if you're willing to put up with the degraded life, you will attain a little more power on full-throttle acceleration, at the cost also of lower mileage and rougher running in all realms.

Frankly, here is the opinion of _most_ of the posters here (there's a guy named Chuck Krieger ?sp that used to post here that codified it): "The best money that a driver can spend on performance is a performance driving school course." A good driver will beat an less-accomplished one in identical cars all the time.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

A good driver might even beat a less accomplished driver in a "better" car. I agree with Floyd on this one, instead of spending money on parts, spend the money on lessons. They will make you better, and they're fun.

An M3 is already about as good of a package as one can buy.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This is a particularly true statement. In older BMWs with OBD I, i.e., those build in the early to mid 90s, a "chip" actually made alot of sense because back then, BMW tuned their car for the "average" driver who used *regular gas,* i.e., 87 octane. So, adding a chip would tune the car for "super" gas, i.e., 91+ octane, and could extract anywhere from 10-50hp and 10-50ft-lb of torque. You actually noticed the difference.

However, on today's cars, with all the competition from other mfrs like Nissan, Audi, Lexus IF, etc., BMW pretty much tunes its cars for "super" gas to maximize the power.

I think you will find that modern BMW's automatically tune themselves for whatever grade fuel you put in (87 - 95 RON)

Go to Turner's website or whereever you plan to get your parts and you'll see very little if any gains. Good Luck!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I agree, although there are two things he can do if he wants to go faster in his BMW: -

  1. Driver training.

  1. Buy an M5.

Messing with the EMU will result in him getting to his destination and the end of the car's life sooner.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

i want to thank everyone who replied to my post . the information that you gave me is much appreciated . D.

Reply to
D.

it is a toss of the dice, a confluence of events that make it work or not.

it is where lemmons come from (can not make a 100% correct car as it is made by humans and their variables).

same for power performance ...

put the parts in ... edelbrock headers and the like ... see what happens.

good luck ... watch the nitro injection.

sumbuddie hopes this helps

:?

D. wrote:

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

No, he isn't.

Your best bet is to kill file him, like I have.

HTH, etc.

Reply to
Dean Dark

thanks Dean , if i cared enough about him , i would . D.

Reply to
D.

D. wrote: > WOW , > you are a big help ! > are you a rocket scientist ?

Hi D ...

I am a Master, other names for me would be Rabbi, Kung Fu, Samurai.

I am NOT a doctor, not a rocket scientist sorry to say.

Just good at what I do.

There are lots of people here much more learned in BMW and car science then I am ...

Ashton Kurcher ... the "PUNKED" dude on tee vee .. that guy really knows his car science pretty good.

Gives good advice to my reckoning.

So ... just a guy ... who went to school, have an edge that smarts.

Try to be careful with it ... I do.

Alan

:?

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

thanks ... feel all warm and fuzzy inside :?

D. wrote:

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane