SAE horsepower vs. Bhp

Can anyone give me a good URL so I can read / learn the difference between SAE horsepower and Bhp (british horse power) ? thanks.

Reply to
doug

BHP = Brake Horsepower

With that tid-bit you are on your way.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

Reply to
Bob I

BHP is Brake horsepower (bhp)

Go to this site and it will explane all inclucing british horse power measurements...

ZÿRiX

More than you ever want to know about hp

doug wrote:

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

bhp=sae* 1.30

1968 427/435 BHP= 334 SAE...... new 2007 Corvette much more powerful!

1960 muscle cars..Much overrated!

Reply to
Bill

Actually, SAE is the measurements according the procedures by the Society for Automotive Engineers.

It has nothing to do with accessories.

However, cars are normally rated as SAE Gross and SAE Net. The SAE Gross is the old style ratings from 1971 and back where they rated the bare engine without accessories and exhaust configurations were often optimal.

SAE Net is from 1971 to present where the engine is configured as in the base driven configuration which usually means alternators and all standard accessories, like AC and power steering after certain years, and with realistic exhaust systems.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

==================== That is until you actually drive them.... LOL Honestly the older cars feel much stronger then the new cars and a lot of that has to do with just how primitive the old suspensions were ..

Given the choice ...for fun...I'll hop into a 60 muscle car every single time.. for a 200 mile drive I'll take the newer car...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Brake HP - measured at the crank. SAE HP - measured at the flywheel with all accessories and exhaust mounted.

Reply to
Bartman64