325 - no windshield washer

1988 325. I can jump the pump with a hand held 12v battery and it pumps but if I use the switch on the steering column nothing happens. Any idea where it would get lost along the way? The fuse is good. Thank you.
Reply to
cosmo

Lead is lose. Switch is lose. Supply is lose. Cable is damaged. Relay is u/s. Check fuse with a meter. You are testing the wrong pump (try pulling up the stalk / pushing it in). The right pump is seized / burnt out / run dry / stalled against blockage / clogged / air locked / one way valve wrong way round etc. etc.

PS I suggest purchase of a manual and attendance on a course on fault analysis.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I second the advice to buy a manual. Seems to be a lot of silly problems that you don't seem to be able to backtrack, either that or you're lazy in which case you should have bought a new car...

Reply to
Michael Yeager

The relay is on the main fuse block and is labeled, K10. If you pull the relay and jump pin 15 to ground the washer should pump if it's good. There's a test for the switch at the steering column but I never used it because I found a loose ground screw after pulling the steering wheel. (air tool needed). Tightening the screw made the washers work. Another 10 minute job done,..

Reply to
cosmo