How to bypass powersteering on Nissan Buebird?

THe power steering has failed and collapsed on a nissan bluebird car.This belt also drives the water pump. So obviosuly with no water pump running the car gets hot very quickly.

Is there a way to use the car without the power steering pump? Maybe by using a smaller belt? I know there were some models of this car sold without power steering.

Also where the belt fits onto the alternator, the spidnle seems double spaced as if it was designed with the possibility of having two belts on it. (maybe for the non power steering model?)

So what can be done? Even just as a temporay mesaure till I locate a

2nd hand pump.
Reply to
Ron

Matthew Millichap

You could probably get a shorter belt, possibly off a non-PAS model, but looking at the worst case scenario if the steering system has a major mechanical failure it could be dangerous to drive it. You don't want shards of metal jamming the rack up. I have no idea if pieces of metal could circulate into the rack from the pump as I'm not familiar with the Bluebird's PAS system, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

& it's a different steering rack , with a different ratio. Plus you'll fail the MOT & the C&U regs.
Why not just buy a PS pump from the scrappys, they're fairly common?
Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you want to use it without PAS then drain all the oil out of the pas and with the pipes off the rack turn the steering left and right tip push out the oil in the rack. (we often did this when banger racing as PAS racks are usually less turns lock to lock and so better for racing)

If you don't then the steering will be so heavy it is hard to drive, even with the oil out it will be heavier than a non pas car.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Although you can bypass the PAS pump, the steering rack is different, and with no oil pressure you'll hardly be able to steer. You will have to replace the rack with a non-pas rack if you want this to work.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..