325i 92 Automatic shift problem - will not shift into Park

I have recently started having some issues with my 325i transmission. Everything was going smooth and then all of a sudden after a drive I cannot shift it into park or past 3rd - even in this range it is slipping into gear (rather than depressing the shift button). Has anyone seen this before or have any idea where to begin with troubleshooting? I live in an area with no good import garages and I am at a loss where to begin.

Reply to
Jeffrey

What do you mean by "cannot shift into park"? You mean the stick physically will not move into P, or you mean it stays in gear and crawls away even in P, or do you mean putting it in P is the same as putting it in N (i.e. no drive, but transmission does not lock, so car rolls)?

Secondly, what do you mean by it "slipping into gear"?

And also, by "cannot shift past 3rd", do you mean that in D it will not use 4th (or 5th) gear?

Reply to
Ste