2002 Ford Explorer Problem.

Hello All,

I purchased my explorer over 2 years ago when it had 70k miles. It was a salesman's truck that drove up and down the highway everyday. When I got it , it occasionally shuddered when it shifted and more infrequently then that was that it slipped when shifting. These problems never got worse in the 2.5 years I've had it. The other day it was slipping more then usual and the overdrive light came on and was flashing very fast. I was unable to shut overdrive off with the button at the end of the shift knob. During the flashing it was shifting hard into gears and I had to let off the gas at the shift point in order for it to shift properly. Once I shut the truck off and turned it back on, the light did not come back on but it shifts rough.

I did research on the problem on the net and there are tons of possible causes. The listed causes are: Valve body, Solenoid pack, Torque Converter clutch, electronic pressure controller, speed sensor, and the fluid pump support seal. I recently moved and took it to a repair shop that I was told is reputable. They said that replacing the solenoid and torque converter would be about 600-800$ and they would not guarantee that it would fix the problem with the shifting. They recommended a re manufactured transmission for $2500 + labor and fluids.

Does anyone know if Ford would do anything as they know of the problem with the 02 explorer's transmissions and TSB or if I should try the solenoid pack, torque converter, valve body fixes w/o the guarantee it will fix the shifting problem? I was planning on selling the truck in Dec to get another vehicle and this happened with extremely bad timing.

Is there a possibility to get a used transmission from somewhere or get a junkyard transmission for a reasonable price?

Im at a loss and don't want to put 2700$ into it when h'm selling it in

2 months.

Not sure if this applys: Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to all its dealers about this KNOWN issue:

03-25-4 DEC 03 A/T - 5R55W No 3rd Gear/Slipping 2-3 Shift/DTC's Set

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

VJF Raleigh, NC

Reply to
VJF

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:33:30 +0000, VJF rearranged some electrons to form:

The flashing O/D light indicates that a trouble code has been set. By having the code read out, it will help you pinpoint the symptoms. Autozone will do it for free.

In any case, your transmission is going fast, it's only a matter of time before it dies. Changing the fluid might give you a temporary reprieve. But it will die eventually.

I'm not sure who would buy a truck with a fried transmission. But, there are a lot of people out there, I guess.

Reply to
David M

Just curious, how many times have you changed the transmission fluid?? Ford transmissions seem to be very sensitive to neglectful owners.....I change mine every 25k miles, and some people say thats not often enough!

Reply to
Barney Gumble

I have not changed it since I bought it. I have put approx. 20k miles on it.

Reply to
VJF

VJF wrote in news:_0gXg.23054$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

Change the fluid. I did in my 2002 at 60K. I had rough shifing since new and it helped alot. Make sure the shop uses not only the right fluid, but the right friction additive as well. These transmissions seem very sensitive to fluid issues. I think there might even be a TSB on the friction additive.

Reply to
akheel