93 Sundance will not shift into any gear.

Can anyone help me with this?

My 93 Sundance was backing up today and after I tried to shift (it's a manual trans) into first, I was unable to push it into gear. I'm unable to push it into any gear whatsoever -- 1 thru 5 or reverse. It starts to move that way but don't go past the point where it would click into gear. It will move side to side, but won't go into the gear position.

Any ideas on what's wrong? How would I fix this?

Thanks! :) Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Q

You've probably got a bad (kinked) shifter cable or two. The failure point is usually at the shifter end. If you'll slide the shifter boot down, you can lift the tab that holds on the shift knob, then lift the knob off the shift stick, then lift up the boot. Now you can see the shifter mechanism. From there you can inspect for evidence of bent/binding cables. If you see nothing, the damage is probably elsewhere in the cable(s). On the other hand, you may find that something has gotten into the shifter mechanism and is physically blocking it, though this is not as likely.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Since it is a manual transmission, does the problem occur with the engine off? If so, it is probably a shifter linkage problem, as Dan suggests. If you can shift it with the engine off, your clutch may not be disengaging. This can be caused by a fluid leak, or a bad master or slave cylinder. I am not sure whether the clutch on this model is hydraulic or mechanical.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

The clutch on that car is cable-operated.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I didn't know that.

Just curious. Is the gear shifter also cable operated, or integrated into the transmission?

I have not owned a manual transmission car for many years, so I haven't kept up on it.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Cable operated, completely independent of the trans. That's, er, why my initial response to the question dealt in detail with the probability of a faulty shifter cable causing the problem.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm getting some feedback from people saying it's a adjustment that needs to be made... yet I'm being told that it's impossible to adjust on this model and that the entire clutch would need to be replaced.... Any thoughts?

Reply to
Shaun Q

1) Get a FSM so you can get real information.

2) Did Dan's message on how to inspect (not adjust) the cables get through to your server? If not, you can find it at

3) Clutch? Why would the clutch be involved? Or does the problem only arise when the engine is running (like Kirk asked earlier)?
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If the problem is with the clutch not fully disengaging, I cannot imagine there not being a way to adjust it. Usually, the clutch needs replacement because it gets worn, and starts slipping.

There is most likely a lever near the bell housing. Have someone operate the clutch while you look around the bell housing (engine off, of course). You should see a cable moving a lever. That is most likely where the adjustment point would be. There may also be a clamp that holds the cable in place. If the clamp is loose and has allowed the cable to slip, that can cause the clutch to not fully disengage.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

The clutch cable setup on this car is "self adjusting" via a ratchet-grab mechanism at the top of the pedal arm, but:

1) Sometimes it needs a little help, which is achieved by repeatedly pressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, then sliding your foot off the pedal so it springs forcefully back up. Five or six times ought to do it. 2) If the clutch cable has stretched significantly, it will need to be replaced.

There is no adjustment at that point on this car.

DS (when somebody asks for help, don't *guess*! Just don't post if you don't know the answer.)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern