8.5 hours to replace windshield rubber gasket?

That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to replace the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has anyone had this done? What in the world will they do for 8.5 hours??? I understand the windshield has to come out for the gasket to be replaced, but still...

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Why has it gone wrong so soon? Did you visit a wildlife park where the monkeys pulled it apart??

How much did the independent windshield replacement company quote?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:23:37 -0500, "Pete" waffled on about something:

Sound like they are charging you for the time the glue takes to dry!

Assuming this gets replaced with the windscreen, and you have windscreen insurance, surely it time to find a house brick... *cough*

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

"Andrew Morton" wrote

No idea. I just got this car used. Unfortunately I did not notice it until after I picked up the car. Serves me right I guess. :(

The one place I called said they won't do it at all because it's a dealer-only item. I guess I could buy gasket from BMW and bring it to the autoglass place, but it sounds like they've never done this before, so I'm a little worried. Apparently the windshield is easily damaged during the process.

Any recommendations for a reputable autoglass place in south Florida, by the way?

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

I recently had a windshield replaced, including a replacement gasket. Took the guy slightly over an hour. The car did have to sit for awhile waiting for the sealant to cure.

Reply to
spammers_lie

Do you have any fancy bits like rain-activated wipers to increase the labour time? I'm sure the dealer would explain why they reckon it would take 8.5 hours.

These people agree with the windshield probably breaking:

I'm on the other side of The Pond, so, no.

Of course, if you were unlucky enough for some vandal to chuck a brick through the windshield overnight, it would get paid for on insurance - if it works like that over there. But you seem to have used up your bad luck already. I didn't say that.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

wrote

Was it replaced by the dealer or another autoglass place? Does your

5-series have the rain-sensing feature?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"Andrew Morton" wrote

Yes.

Oh no, I have lots of bad luck... bricks and all. :)

The thing is, if I make a claim on my insurance, they'll hike my rates for a long time to come, so it may not be worth it...

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

"Pete" wrote

I found this thread on one of the forums:

Some users claim it's just a $37 part that you can replace yourself in 30 minutes without removing the glass... hmm...

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Many insurers don't treat windscreens as a claim.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Typically covered by "comprehensive" - and a low deductible comprehensive is actually a very good deal. One windshield could pay for years of the increase in premium.

Reply to
admin

No rain sensor, and it was a come to you place autoglass outfit.

Reply to
spammers_lie

That guy is talking about the plastic trim piece that locks the rubber seal in place. There's no way anyone could replace the seal without removing the glass. Tell us what problem you had with the seal that caused you to decide to replace it.

Reply to
Jack

I couldn't see the pciture that was posted but if the seal is simply leaking then extra sealant can be replaced either from the outside or the inside.

To totally unseal and reseal the windscreen it needs to come out and it would either take a very long time to remove intact or you have to break it. On my 7 i had to smash all along the bottom of the screen to get it out as the sealant there was very thin. I got a replacement screen with rain sensor and heater elements for around $200 and fitted it myself. ..but unless the screen is damaged there's no way I'd fit a new one just for a leaky seal.

Reply to
adder1969

"Jack" wrote

It's the outer rubber that you can see in the picture I posted. It's flaking off. There isn't any plastic trim around the windshield.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Is it leaking? If not, leave it alone.

Reply to
Fred W

"Fred W"

I haven't noticed any leaks, although I've only had the car for about a week. It just looks crappy, hence I wanted to have it replaced. Also, the water must be getting inside (between this outer rubber and the actual glass seal. It can't possibly be good if the water just sits there, even if it does not leak into the car.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I needed a windshield replaced on a 20 year old Mercedes. Prices were trhough the roof.

I droev to small industrial mall that had a bunch of "to the trade" little businessses - an auto elecronics and wiring place, an auto interior place, an auto glass place.

I asked how much for a new windshield, installed and was met with the question "insurance or cash". "What's the difference" I asked.

Insirance $700, cash $250 installed.

I paid the 250 and it was ready in an hour and has been flawless ever since. Now this particular car had a urethane seating area and no gasket per se so you'd need to buy a gasket. About $100 I'd guess. There is a difference in the Euro and US gaskets (Euro glass is thinner) somake sure you get the right one.

The other sneaky thing to do is ask the stealer where he sends the glass out too and just go there. Chances are high they farm this out.

Chances are even higher you can do a lot better just by looking in the phone book. Avoid the chains, call everyone to get a price then settle for the one that's the least hassle, it'll invariably some little place like the one I described. Which is probably where the car would end up anyway :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I've not had the screen changed on my E39, but watched then do it on my E34 which I thought was similar. Took under an hour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pete" wrote

And one more reference (in case anyone gets the same crap from the dealer):

I'm going to pick up the part this weekend and swap it out myself.

Pete

Reply to
Pete