How to remove windshield moulding?

Need to get at some rust that extends on the roof to under the moulding at the top of the windshield. How do I pop it off? Do I just pull? Is it bonded with some sticky stuff? Do you need to slide in a pry bar to depress some clips?

1992 Subaru Legacy L wagon
Reply to
Vanguard

Dmitriy

No, not the rubber seal. I mean the metal moulding (or trim) that covers the rubber seal.

Reply to
Vanguard

They're usually held on with some kind of clip. Also, depending on who installed the windshield, they might be glued in place. It's a trick to get those clips to release without bending them, so if the windshield has been replaced, chances are they're glued in. Or some glue from the factory has bled into the clips. In any case, expect some glue in the clip area.

Try to get a manual to see the details on how to remove them. Perhaps a local dealer will let you read the page on how to remove the windshield trim.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

I was just at the salvage yard picking apart another 92 Subaru (I wanted the driver-side fender but that seems the one that always gets smashed or thoroughly rusted out). I wanted the top side moulding that goes over the top of the doors and rear side window because mine has peeling paint (but it's polished aluminum so it doesn't rust yet the polishing is probably why it peeled). In some places, I hit some still-soft glue, in others I had to remove the rubber door seal to unscrew the moulding underneath into which the top moulding was clipped into. Unfortunately, I bent that piece when I got at the rear window because I couldn't see down to know where was the glue or clips (and the glue with clips makes it impossible to simply snap the moulding out of the clips). If that's how they did the top moulding over the windshield, I'll have to try a fat flat pry bar to get at the glued spots.

Reply to
Vanguard