'95 318i A/C

I've got a '95 318i that we're doing some A/C work on. What I need to know is how much oil to use in the compressor to keep the system running optimally. I'm not great at auto repair and will be working with my father-in-law. He's got the experience, just doesn't know how much oil to use in the compressor/other areas.

Reply to
mikellwest

For Christ's sake take it to an EXPERT not someone that has "experience" (at what may I ask?)

Reply to
Oscar

I've got a service manual (Bentley Publishers) for that car, and the specs they give are:

R134a -- 2.2 lb ± 0.05 (1000g ± 25g)

The oil you need depends on the kind of A/C system. The Nippondenso takes

120ml and the Seiko takes 150ml.

If you are buying R134a at the local parts store, it probably has oil already in it. You should read the can. If you are working on the AC system and need to ask stuff like this, you should buy the book.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff

How much does R134a cost States side? How much is the oil and can you buy it in small quantities?

How much does it cost to get a system re-gassed professionally?

Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with one of the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users. A recharge is anything from $100 (US) to $200 (US) depending on whether Main Stealer or independent.

Is it really worth it to mess about like this?

Reply to
Oscar

Halfords sell it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess you haven't figured out that Google thing yet, huh? Well I'll answer you anyway. Not much. Less that $10.

As Jeff already said, it comes in the refrigerant. But yes, small cans can be bought and they are cheaper than the R134a.

Quite a bit. Over a hundred bucks typically.

Well, then, sucks to be you, huh? Just because they do things a partricular way in England doesn't mean it's the only way, nor the best way.

Duh, yes.

Reply to
Fred W

Now don't go confusing him with facts like that Dave. He has a really good head of steam up in this argument...

Reply to
Fred W

Yes Dave I noticed that the other day but it is in "fool proof" containers and only meant for a top-up not a full re-gas.

The same applies Stateside but the environmental regs are not enforced so stringently. I believe that R134a and the newer stuff is based on LPG products (butane and propane) which I understand has been used by some ignorant people that then were surprised when the whole thing blew up!

The Hotpoint service guys carry aerosol containers of the stuff for when they fix refrigerators and freezers and I have, in the past, topped up a system with one of these when it was R12.

But really when you look at the Halfords' price for 2 it is still cheaper to get it done professionally and tested.

Reply to
Oscar

I bought a double-can for under $30, that included the low side pressure guage. I think the standard can is something like 15oz, and the double that I bought was 30. Maybe the actual numbers are 14.5 and 29. Whatever.

They sell it at the local autoparts store. There is no capacity to evacuate the system, and the idea with this stuff is that the system is otherwise in good condition, but the charge of refridgerant has simply seeped out. I don't know if refidgerant "dies" or has to seep out, in order to require the addition of more.

I screwed my car up a couple of years ago and had to go to the shop for proper servicing. It seems that I paid about $100 to have the system evacuated and recharged. Of course, the shop has the equipment needed to capture the juice that comes out.

If all you need is to recharge the system, yes it is worth it. It sounds like you need much more than a simple recharge, and without the proper equipment, it is clearly (in my opinion) not worth it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Some refrigerant is bound to leak over years with the common car type system - this is intrinsic because of the exposed pulley drive and therefore seal. Domestic units like fridges can enclose the entire pump/motor assembly to prevent any leaks at all.

So all will need a recharge eventually. How often depends on a number of factors other than obviously design.

If all that's needed is topping up the refrigerant $100 sounds right - here in the UK I paid 60 gbp. If repairs are needed the sky's the limit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A/C? leave to the experts!

Reply to
Tommy

Thank you Tommy!

Reply to
Oscar

Yes, Tommy is a bundle of helpful info. No wonder he agrees with you...

Reply to
Fred W

Seems quite sensible too. Talk about air pollution - you guys make it look like China is a good guy! Try shutting your mouth for a few days.

Reply to
Oscar