Fault code reset?

If the DSC light is on because of a steering angle sensor fault, and you replace or repair the sensor, should the light go off straight away, or will it take some time/journeys, or does it absolutely need the fault cleared by someone with a diagnostic computer?

(I found a broken solder joint within my sensor, resoldered it, but the light still comes on.)

Reply to
Dan Buchan

I don't know.

The ABS light goes out by istelf ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Guess I'll have to take it in and have it stuck on the machine. Waste of £25 if it doesn't work, saves me £145 if it does...

The ABS light comes on too until you drive 10 yards. Apparently there is no ABS fault logged, it's just on because of the DSC. The whole thing is weird.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

On my 2000 323, the DSC light came on when the steering was way out of alignment. After the alignment, the DSC light was on for the first 30 mile trip. It was off the next day after the engine was restarted. My conclusion is: yes, it takes some time (miles?) before the DSC light will go off.

Reply to
Thomas Wright

Thanks for that. I'll give it a couple of days before doing anything more. If, as you suggest, the system knows when a reading is wrong (how? Must be the motion sensors? And it would take time for it to be certain they and the s.a. sensor were in disagreement), it might need recalibrating. I did put everything back in the same position, but I'm not sure how it works out whether the wheel is straight or a whole turn to one side, and I might have spun it or the sensor through 360 degrees at some point.

Reply to
Dan Buchan