'96 328 Dash Lights

At night the area around my headlight switch doesn't light up but I have an '05 325I and it does. All the other switches or switch areas light up so I would think it should also. Does anyone know how and if the light that illuminates that headlight switch area is replaceable?

Dave

Reply to
David

Yep. It sure is. There is one phillips screw trhat you remove from under the switch and then the whole assemble pulls out the front of the dash. Once you have it out the bulb holder will be obvious

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yes, all of the lamps in the dash are replaceable. Some are as easy as pulling the affected knob off and replacing the bulb behind it.

Reply to
J Strickland

Interesting that you use the term philips. I take it this is generic for cross head screws in the US? In the UK, it refers to a specific not much used now cross head pattern, and Pozidriv - with parallel rather than tapered slots and a different angle of 'point' is likely to be a better fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi.

I am experiencing lighting problems in the following areas with my instrumentation:

- Right Indicator - does not show even if exterior indicator is operational

- Auto Transmission - the "P R D 3 2 1" does not light up

I would like to know if the above can be repaired, and the process required to fix.

Kind Regards,

-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME snipped-for-privacy@tepoorten.com

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

Hmmm. I don't know if we are mis-using the "philips" term, but I suspect that you are correct. That is what they call almost all cross head type screws here in the US and I can't recall anyone ever using the posi-drive name. I do have a couple of odd looking #1 cross head screw drivers that have a much sharper taper to them. I don't very often find screws that require that tool, FWIW.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I've heard & seen & used the posidrive term here, but I only have one or two, even though I've got torx and square-head drives. They're very common - actually universal - in ski/snowboard bindings, since DIN was the first standard for bindings.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

You mean the indicator inside the instrument panel? You have to remove the steering wheel to get the speedo head out, then the bulb is in the back of the speedo head. It should be available locally without visiting the dealer.

This is a bulb that is in the shifter. You need to lift off the shifter surrounds to expose the light bulb. It should be available off the shelf at your local auto parts store. It might not be at the store, but it ought not be a dealer item, you should be able to find one locally.

Reply to
J Strickland

Hi J Strickland.

For the right indicator, I am referring to the indicator inside the instrument panel.

Thanks for the advice on the procedure of replacement.

-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

The Bentley manual (If you don't have one of these, you should get one.) says that the steering wheel has to come off to get the speedo head out, but I have heard rumors that the speedo can be taken out without removing the steering wheel if the car has tilt steering, and it's tilted all of the way down. There are two screws along the top edge that can be seen, and I'm thinking there are four screws total.

With the screws removed, the speedo head tilts forward (toward you) from the top and has clippy things on the bottom. While the head is out, you should consider all of the bulbs, there are several. The bulbs that light the speedo and tach probably number 6 or 8, and when one goes out the numbers get a bit dim at night. They are known to collect years of dust that turns them black, so at the very least you should pull them and clean them off.

Reply to
J Strickland

Hi J Strickland.

I noticed in a couple of posts you mention the Bentley manual.

Where would I find this manual?

What are the details? ISBN etc.

Is this manual like the guide to maintaining BMWs?

Thanks.

-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

I don't know the ISBN off the top of my head, but I found mine at Barnes and Noble. I'm sure you can find them on eBay.

Try this,

Or search eBay for "bentley manuals" to find more sources. The link I gave you is priced at $15, I paid closer to $80 for my new one at Barnes and Noble, but it is an excellent data source when servicing your car. It's in a similar vein to Haynes or Chilton manuals, but much better because it is focused on the specific model.

Here's another link to a new Bentley manual,

J Strickland

ISBN 0-8376-0326-9

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have a '98 E36 328i and was wondering if I was supposed to have some sort of light around the headlight switch. Never can remember if it worked before. Pulled the bulb out, took it to the dealer, some messing on the computer, and got a new 12 volt 30 mA bulb. Part # 61

13 8 360 844. Never knew what I was missing.
Reply to
Opossum

Yeah, the worst part is that particular bulb is on with the ignition, so it tends to burn out rather soon. But I suppose that makes some sense as that would be when you need to fing the headlight switch (after the ignition is turned on). Just wish it didn't run all the time during the daylight.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound