CJ dash lights not working

The dash lights on the 86 CJ7 aren't lighting when I turn on the parking lights or headlights. None of them.
Three most obvious things I'll check (fuse is OK) are:
- problem with light switch - problem with power feed wiring after the fuse - problem with ground
I've heard ground is a common cause of this problem. Anybody have any advice on that?
The wiring diagram shows that pretty much all of this stuff gets spliced together and grounded at one point, which I believe is on the back of the dash panel?
Can someone tell me where to find the ground connection for the dash lights?
It's not something simple like the light switch knob is turned dim to off, is it? http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/
Jeff Scherb wrote:

Thanks for asking, but no, I checked that and it's not the problem :-)
http://www.billhughes.com/

the

lights?
Pull a bulb, they may be all burnt out. If the volt meter shows they don't have power, pull your light switch by pulling out the knob, then reaching behind the dash and depressing the release button, and unscrew the switch to get it out where you may play with it, and confirm the variable resistor is kuput. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/
Jeff Scherb wrote:

Jumping in in the middle of a thread--cop told me that tail lights & dash lights are fused together so you'll notice if tail light fuse blows.
Paul B. 01 XJ 95 XJ
True, but jeff indicated the parking lights worked. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/
PLB49 wrote:

yes, parking and brake lights work
http://www.billhughes.com/

dash

The main dash ground is just beside the steering column on the right on the inside lip of it.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Jeff Scherb wrote:

That's the main ground, but all of the screws that hold the dash on also provide a ground path. If the dash was not grounded, other stuff would not work anyway, like the radio that is also grounded to the back of the dash panel.
http://www.billhughes.com/

My stock dash lights have a dedicated ground wire that tags on that bolt.
Just to name some, but the tach and clock lights plug into plastic, so do all the pull knob lights.
Mike
CRWLR wrote:

Oh, my headlight switch also has a black ground wire for the dash lights that tags the same bolt too!
Mike
Mike Romain wrote:

Yes, but more than likely you had to modify and all ground points that were normally grounded to the steal panel, for your new plastic tub and panel. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/
Mike Romain wrote:

No.
I have the stock dash and the stock dash wiring harness in it.
I just had to run a dedicated ground from the dash to the battery negative power bar post I made.
My dash lights are dual wire with their own ground. They plug into plastic parts Bill, they need a ground wire.
Mike
"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

There are a couple that are just one wire come to think of it.
The dimmer still needs the wire ground tag on the dash from the headlight switch.
Mike
Mike Romain wrote:

The dimmer switch (not the correct name, but we are talking about the dimmer function of the instrument panel lamps) does have a ground wire that goes somewhere. All of the panel lights are a single feed though, with the ground coming from the sockets.
http://www.billhughes.com/

lights

I just looked at my spare `78 gauge cluster, the type common to CJs from 1955 - `86. I don't know for sure what the pre-`76 dash wiring was like but my SWAG is that it was the same.
* All of the _dimmable_ in-dash lights, meaning the rectangular lights over in-dash heater, wiper and light controls are two-wire, orange and black.
* All of the _dimmable_ gauge illumination lights are single orange wires in the OEM harnesses (1978, 1978). Im my Painless replacement harness all of these gauge lights are two-wire, orange and black.
* The direction indicators and the high-beam indicator are single wire and take their ground return from the speedo cluster. The brake warning light and the unused "emergency drive" indicator are two-wire sockets.
The `79 - `86 headlight switch is an off-the-shelf GM part, the dome light switch is on the ground side.
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, CRWLR wrote:

My 4x4 light just fell out and stayed lit, so it is a 2 wire as well.
Mike
Lee Ayrton wrote:

Your "Emergency Drive" light works? I saw two capped, threaded holes over the shift rods in my transfer case and figured I could wire mine up but couldn't find a switch long enough to work.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Mike Romain wrote:

es

ght

,
dash

I have the dana 300 t-case and mine is an orange 4x4 light.
Mike
Lee Ayrton wrote:

Hmmmm. Might you have any idea if the switch for the Dana 300 will work in a Spicer 20?
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Mike Romain wrote:

ver

from

like