air vent in 88 325?

The A/C doesn't work and I was hoping I could get outside air to flow into the car but I can't seem to get it going. My old Chevy van had a trap door by your feet which you could flip open and air would blast in; unless it was really hot out you could manage. Any ideas? Thanks as always, c.

Reply to
cosmo

What happens when you move the outside air lever (the middle lever) to the right? Do you hear any sounds, anything moving?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yes, the 3 horizontal levers all seem to work fine. If you have heat on the levers send air to the floor, windshield, your face, respectively. I just can't seem to get colder air from outside. If I don't run the fan, very little air gets through on any setting. The button you push if you hit a skunk, with a circle on it, just right of the middle lever, to recycle the cabin air seems to work- I can hear something moving and a low fan comes on. The heater works great. Shame about the A/C. I love my red car. Thanks, Scott.

Reply to
cosmo

On the E28, the top and bottom levers send air to the windshield and the floor, from air intakes in the cabin. The middle lever sends air from the outside into the middle vents.

There is a valve that changes the air source for the middle vents when the AC is on.

I am not sure this is unusual. The air intake from the outside is in the engine compartment and it's not attached to any kind of scoop or anything, so air isn't moving much with the blower turned off.

If you hear thumping noises when you adjust the middle lever and when you press the recycle button, I think everything is okay. It's possible that the engine compartment air just isn't very cool to begin with....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey