All 07 3 series come with run flats?

Is that right?

I thought it was just the sport package, but I think they're on the base also.

My thinking was stiffer sidewalls would be needed with larger rims of the sport package, thus necessitating the stiffer run flats. But maybe that's not right.

My thinking is also that the larger rim with shorter sidewall gives a much rougher ride than the larger sidewall. So for this reason I was tending away from the larger sport rims.

But now I read the dreaded run flats are on the base rims also.

Wonder why.

Wonder if they'll change it.

Reply to
kpb

As no spare tire is included with the E90, all models (including 2007) come with run-flats as standard. Some are summer performance (sport package) and some are "all-season" - but all are run-flat.

But I thought you were looking for an E46 coupe...

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

">>

Apparently the trick with these is, when the runflats need to be replaced, buy a puncture repair kit and the replace the runflats with proper tyres.

Reply to
eNautilus

"eNautilus" wrote

Is there no space in the trunk to house a spare? I would just buy a spare wheel/tire and then switch to non-runflats.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Well I have my options open. I actually like the looks of the new 328 coupe better. Maybe they'll change to non-run flats next year.

Reply to
kpb

They are on the regular as well. I just got my wife an 07 328xiT (E91) and it came with run flats. She didn't want the sports package since she doesn't like the bucket seats. She's got the premium and winter package only. I got extended coverage for it that includes the runflat replacement coverage, as I hear they are quite expensive. It is a rougher ride then in my e46 (sports package), but it's not that bad. I like driving her car, but prefer the ride in mine. There's no choice as far as I know. I guess you could fit regular contis on it, but then you'll have to have a repair kit when you run a flat tire as there is no more spare wheels in the E90 and E91s. I hope they change that by the time I need to get my E46 replaced. I don't like it that they don't let run flats be an option, but make it a standard (mandatory) feature.

Reply to
wernergr

There is indeed extra space in the place of the spare, but that little cargo bay they built down there under the trubnk is not large enough to fit a spare. It's not even round, but a bucket size cargo holder.

Reply to
wernergr

I wouldn't count on BMW changing to run-flats as the 2008 3 series continues with the same tires as the 2006 and 2007 models. Run flats aren't really a problem although they are more expensive and tend to ride a bit firmer than conventional tires.

After getting 30,000 problem free miles out of the OEM performance run-flats on my Z4, I replaced them with conventional Z rated rubber - only because of the price difference.

Have you driven both the E46 and E90 to compare run-flats vs. conventional tires?

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

No, I've just heard a lot of people complain about them. And some said they didn't last very long. I think the new coupe is truly beautiful, but the older series looks nice too.

How much do regular tires cost? I think run flats are $200. Did you carry a spare tire in your trunk?

Am I right in thinking that lower sidewalls with larger rims mean a harsher ride? I just want a sporty, fun to drive car, probably rear wheel drive...with a good suspension and handling, but not so rigid that it knocks my fillings out.

Reply to
kpb

Since the Z4 roadster trunk has only 8.5 cu. ft. of space, I carry a 12v compressor and plug kit - no spare and no jack.

Then I assume that you don't want the sport package, so the stock coupe tires are all-season 225/45HR17 run-flats - either Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT @$225 each, or Continental ContiProContact SSR @$144 each from Tire Rack (plus shipping, mounting and balancing). While a number of folks have complained about the noise from the Bridgestones, the Contis are rated highly and carry a treadwear rating of 400 - so you might try to have those tires mounted, rather than the Turanzas.

If you opt for the sport package, the OEM 18" Bridgestone RE050A summer performance tires provide great handling - but a significant harsher ride. Tire Rack's price is $282 per front tire and $343 per rear - plus shipping, mounting and balancing. Naturally, you don't want to drive on these tires in snow, ice or sub-freezing temperatures.

I strongly suggest a test drive, especially on the Contis.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Yeah, RF tires are on all the new 3 series.

I have a 2006 330xi and it came with Bridgestone RF tires.

I work for Goodyear (who owns Dunlop) so BMW actually was happy to swap out the runflats for a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. I really like them. I have had it in the shop for one or two things, and the 3-series loaners, with runflats, seem harsher to me.

As far as what I do when I get a flat? I also have a set of Borbet rims with winter tires (GY Ultra Grip G3's) on them (I live north). So I keep one of those in the trunk in Summer, and one of the originals in the trunk in winter (when the Borbets go on). Spare sits on the optional rubber BMW trunk liner (which they threw in as part of deal). I keep the spare in-place with a tie-down strap which hooks very nicely to the two chrome eye loops in the front corners of the trunk. Thus the tire sits flat, centered and snugged up against the front of the trunk, which is the back of the rear seat. Not fold down seats either, so I think safety is not compromised by the tire being there. I also bought the BMW jack kit, which I keep in that smaller storage area under the trunk (where they REALLY should have made room for a spare tire!).

BMW really should have given the buyer a choice - RF's or regular tires. After all, it's still a 5-passenger 4-door sedan, NOT a Corvette (where runflats are mandatory in order to make room in the trunk for your golf clubs).

But I'm happy with what I have. The 330xi model is a bit heavier in the front anyway, due to the extra running gear for the 4wd and associated beefier components (some are steel instead of alum), thus the f/r weight ratio is a couple more % points weighted towards the front as it is, compared to the RWD 330i. SO the weight of spare tire and jack kit in back shifts some of the weight distribution backwards a little bit closer to the perfect 50/50 (by maybe 1-2 percent). Of course at the expense of an additional 55lb or so of cargo, but I figure it's worth the balancing act plus not having to break the bank on replacing a RF tire eventually anyway if they get a puncture.

It looks like you can actually remove that tub underneath, to give yourself a bit more room for stuff. But alas, not enuf for a tire.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Therein lies the problem. You can put non-runflat tires on an E90, but you won't be able to fit a spare in the trunk unless you want to take up all the cargo area. You'll also have to come up with the tools to change a flat AND some sort of inflator. Maybe a can of fix-a-flat too.

Accordingly to some who have done this, the non-run flat tires easily outperform the runflats.

Hopefully, runflats aren't the 21st Century version of the TRX tire!

Reply to
bfd

Absolutely. And the WORSE news is that most of the tire failures I have had have been of varieties that would not have been prevented by runflats. For example, tearing the sidewall out with a piece of steel rebar sticking out of the middle of the Washington Beltway. Just about every actual blowout I have experienced resulted in the tire being shredded into many pieces within a second or two.

You need to have a spare. I do not think that having runflats is in any way a replacement for a real spare.

The lack of a place to put a spare is my number two reason (behind the front wheel drive) for not buying a Cooper S.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Another pernicious habit is to provide a non-full-size spare. Mercedes is guilty in several of its model.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling