Regular (not run-flat) Tire sizes for 17" S-Lite wheel?

Hello,

I'm considering the MCS with the Sport package (which includes the

7x17" S-Lite wheel.)

I'm also considering, after I put a few miles on the car, replacing the run-flats (205/45R17) with regular all-season tires (i.e., non-run flat.)

Looking at tirerack.com, there are no regular tires of that particular size, so what are my other options? Would 215/40R17 work? (it's only

2% different in overall diameter.) If so, then that opens up several candidates (including the Continental ContiExtremeContact which is highly rated at tirerack.com.)

What sayest everyone? Any other sizes I can consider that will be within "factory specs" and which work well on the S-Lite 17" rims? And which of the allowed sizes will be the best for ride comfort, or is it a wash?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

Reply to
Jon Noring

Why would you want to replace them? But if you do, are you selling them?

Reply to
jtpr

Hi,

I just bought four Toyo Proxes-T1 205/40 for my 17" rims.

These gums are not as good as the original Pirelli euphoria which where

mounted when I bought my Mini.

The cascade (hope it´s the right english word for it.... :-)) isn´t that

solid.

Effective you have a loss of grip, good rain-performance, lower

curving-speed, better accerlation (subjectively).

They should be avaiable for about 70-75 EUR (Pirelli 140-180EUR).

If you lower the tire´s pressure for 0.2-0.3 bar, the performance is nearly

the same.

Hope, you could understand me - my english got worse....!

Greetings,

Oliver

Reply to
Olihasi

Skip the 17" and go with the standard 16". They're lighter and as a consequence the car is faster off the line.

Reply to
Ryan Graham

True shit: Go for winter 15" for highest top-speed :-) Olli

Reply to
Olihasi

Why would you risk it. If you have a puncture you will need to hope your tin of tire-weld has not gone off, it has a shelf life!!!!!!

And then you will have to get your rims cleaned to get all the tire weld s**te off when you fit the new tire.

Runflats may not be the most grippy tires there are but they have plenty grip for all but the most insane driver IMHO.

Reply to
Warren

I replaced my run flat tires 2 weeks after buying my MINI CVT which came with the 16" tires. The new Firehawk GTA 16's stick to the ground and provide a much more comfortable ride. Those run flats were brutal. The cost of replacing the tires was money well spent.

Cheers.

Reply to
Tsunami

Ive not found the runflats that harsh (16" with SS) but then depends on personal preference. Did an 8 hour trip from Brighton to Edinburgh in one go on them and felt fine at the other end.

Guess I have got used to them now :)

Reply to
Warren

I'm afraid I don't understand what you folks are talking about. Ever ride in a Corvette or an '84 Rabbit GTI? I have the 17" Pirelli run flats and find the ride to be incredibly smooth and comfortable while still allowing me the feedback from the road that I desire.

I owned and drove an '84 GTI from new to my 2003 MCS so I guess it comes down to what you are used to. My father ALWAYS bought new luxury Mercurys and I couldn't stand that boat-like ride. I never felt in control of those cars. To each his own.

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

I have 17" runflats (SP Sport 9000), and don't consider them harsh at all (and this is on the rotten roads in the Greater Boston area).

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill