BMW 320d 2006 Electrical Fault

Electrical fault shows up, seems to be a short or fault in maybe a 'chip' connection. Result==the following don't work, turn signals, A/C, automatic transmission won't shift (remains maybe in 3rd gear), speedometer, windshield wipers start and stop intermittently without switching on. Stop vehicle, turn off engine and restart to find all seems ok for a period of time.

Reply to
Xrhodie

You will not solve this without the wiring diagram, so if you have not dug deep into your pockets for the CD-ROM, now is the time to do so.

I don't have the diagram, but I bet when you get it that you will find everything on your list shares a common fuse, connector, or most likely relay. Start with the AC and the turn signals since those are going to be fairly simple and good starting points, and work down the wiring diagrams until you find the point where they come together. Then start looking at everything upstream from there.

If the windshield wiper gets control signal from one fuse and motor power from another fuse, that wiper behaviour would make sense. But I don't have a diagram for that car and without the diagram you cannot even begin to do basic troubleshooting.

Relays and connectors are _always_ suspicious. My tendency is to clean every connector I disconnect for diagnostic purposes, and pack it with dielectric grease if it hasn't already been greased. This will save you grief a decade down the road. The easy reset makes it sound like it's not a connector problem but don't rule it out completely. Get the diagram.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey