Outside the box Jeep electrical question

OK. I'll try to keep this short. For almost 2 years now my 1994 Cherokee 4.0 automatic has had this unfixable problem involving the throttle position sensor. Basically the Jeep drive just fine and smoothly but once you drive 10-15 minutes in the city or drive the highway and come to a stop off the first exit the "check engine" light pops on and the Jeep starts idling erratically, surging, etc and when you check the trouble codes it shows a code 24 TPS. Replaced the TPS multiple times as well as the plug and a good length of the wires plus replaced other related sensors. Still the same problem. NOW here is my odd question. Can anyone think of any connection at all between what I`ve just described and/or the wiring involved AND the windshield washer fluid level warning light on the dash? Recently when I changed the crank position sensor and oxygen sensor I noticed that the "Low washer fluid" light on the dash went out for the first time in a year (It was always on even when the fluid was full).. That struck me as odd but then I noticed that my "check engine" light problem went away for 3-4 days. I figured that I had cured it but then today it (Check engine light) popped back on and simultaneously the "Low washer fluid" light came back on. Can anyone think of any twisted way that these two things can somehow be connected?... Maybe a shared wire harness somewhere which could have gotten pinched?...I`ll nose around Saturday but until then I was hoping someone might have some wild idea to try.

Reply to
Programbo

Check grounds. Whenever you see two completely unrelated problems coming and going at the same time, check grounds.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Programbo wrote in news:38c7568e-ea29-4c70-af53- snipped-for-privacy@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

starting point that said, 1) common grounds could (??) be a cause. iffy at best...2) IF the washer fluid sensor runs on the same reference voltage as your engine sensors (doubtful) that would be another route to connect the 2 probs. ive never seen voltage other than B+ used for washer fluid level sensor....but, jeep is a special creature.....i would like to hear the results if you figure it out tho.............bill

Reply to
bill

Just because the code for the tps is coming up doesn't mean that is your problem. On of your other sensors could be causing your problem. This is where a "real" mechanic comes in to diagnosis it.

One thing you can try is to unplug one sensor at a time and see if the problem goes away..

An o/2 sensor can be bad causing you to run rich.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Sounds like it runs fine in "open loop", but "closed loop" mode is the problem(?)

I suggest getting detailed factory data...or maybe a subscription to alldata (which is factory data). That will enable you to research exactly HOW the OBD works and how everything is wired. Money well spent in time saved. You may even find troubleshooting flowcharts that will help.

ditto the advice to check grounds. always a good idea.

My gut feeling is a sticky/sluggish IAC, but that's easily checked to rule it out. Or maybe an EGR problem...is it stalling or just surging?

I've owned 2 1989 jeep 4.0's, one each auto/man, but never had that exact problem. I did have a "stalling when coming to a stop" problem that was EGR.

--Don Don Byrer KJ5KB Power & Glider Pilot Guy kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer