330xi 6 speed 2002 / 2003

is this a good choice to replace my 540? I am looking for something cheaper on fuel, a little more fun to drive, hence the 6 speed... how good are they for durability? i drove a tiptronic 2002 the other day... no fun, and is it possible it was made in the USA? I would prefer a german built car, the last thing I want is more trouble than my e34 is presently giving me! I am in Canada, so it needs the cold weather package, what should I know about that car? Would I be better off for some reason without the X and just a regular 330i? ALL input is appreciated! THanks

Reply to
BMW

"BMW" wrote

It depends.

Are you asking if the 6 speed transmission is durable, or the whole car? The answer is that the transmission and the engine is very durable, assuming you change oil at least as often as recommended.

Again, are you asking about the auto transmission? Are you asking about a 2002 330xi? Or are you asking about a 1970's 2002 model. Please learn how to write.

No 3 series cars are made in the US.

Your e34 was made in Germany. It is probable that any E46 3-series sold in N. America was made in Germany (all LHD and some RHD's are made in S. Africa.) So I don't know why you think getting a 3-series made in Germany is important.

Which car? A 330xi, an e34, etc. The cold wx package is just a set of options on a car, not a car itself. It consists (in the US - don't know about CA) of headlight washers, heated seats, ski bag. None are realy all that important for driving in the snow (although IMHO no leather/leatherette equipped car should be w/o heated seats.)

If you want to put big tires, lower it, or other mods, buy a 330i. If you want ultimate grip in snow, buy a 330xi and put on snow tires. I have Michelin Pilot Alpines on mine and it's amazing.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I appreciate your input, except for the insult, BTW, do you know of a 1970

2002 with a tiptronic tranny that I could have been driving the other day? I didn't think so, it was clear what I was asking. No need to be an ass.
Reply to
BMW

"BMW" wrote

I'm not, and I wasn't.

I do appreciate clear questions; IMO yours were not, evidently due to your lack of knowledge about things that are obvious/evident to many of the posters here. You're lucky some of the other regulars didn't get to you first, if you don't like me you really wouldn't like them.

BTW, if you know how to google these groups, there have been many discussions about the xi models and snow tires. I've posted in most of them so you an search on my name to find most. 330xi is also a good search term.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

"BMW" wrote

One more thing; roadfly has had quite a few discussions about the xi cars, also.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Seeing as you were so picky with the OP it's only fair to point out your above comments are nonsense ;-)

As the OP pointed out, a 1970's tiptronic? I think not. If ALL LHD 3 series are made in SA, how can it be probable that a 3 series sold in America could be made in Germany? Do you drive RHD in America all of a sudden?

What was it you said, please learn how to write?

Reply to
zerouali

Those two factors are not necessarily related (Made in the USA = troublesome). The place of manufacture is not as important as the design. Witness the Hondas and Toyotas made in their US plants are generally accepted to be among the most reliable in the world.

You *need* the cold weather package, huh? Does that mean you *need* to have warm buns or that you *need* to have a ski-bag pass-thru from the trunk, or perhaps you *need* to have high intensity headlight washers? Because those are the three items that make-up the "Cold Weather" package. It adds $1000 US to the price of a new car for features that nobody *needs*.

Depends on what you value most. If you want better traction in the snowy Canadian winter, then get the Xi. If you prefer better handling and performance in the summer and are willing to give up a little traction in the snow go for the 2WD version. Either way (2WD or AWD), living in the "serious snow" zone, you should swap the tires and wheels in winter for some real winter tires and you'll do just fine.

--

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If I was in Canada, I'd certainly be looking to the 330Xi over the straight

330i.

Reply to
J Strickland

That tripped me up also ...

Reply to
J Strickland

Oh the joy of living in Southern California -- I never have to swap my tires or prepare my car for a new season.

Reply to
J Strickland

I think he had a little rectal/cranial inversion and meant to say "all RHD 3 series are made in S Africa..."

But I agree about the "picky"ness. "Those who live in glass houses...", and all that.

--

-Fred W My Toy Sale:

Malt_Hound

Oh, but think of all of the fun you're missing, Jeff. Dashing thru the snow... over the river and through the woods... Nor'Easter blizzard being stranded at home by the fireplace...

And I've never once been terrified the hillside was going to slide down on me, or an earthquake or wild fire was going to destroy my home. ;-)

Every location has it's pluses and minuses.

--

-Fred W Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Both of my houses exceed the Super Good Cents prescriptive requirements (23% IIRC) of glass to wall ratio! ;->

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Well, I'll take Christmas Dinner of BBQd burgers by the pool over meatloaf by the fireplace any day. Every location might have its plusses and minusses, but I gotta say, my plus list is much longer than yours, and my minus list is shorter.

Reply to
J Strickland

So sayeth thee...

I actually love the winter months in a way. There are lots of things to do outdoors and the really nice thing is it is seldom crowded since so many others tend to hibernate. The cold really doesn't bother me, and I love the snow, even to drive in, so long as it's not to or from work. Luckily for me my commute consists of climbing a set of stairs to my office, so I don't have to deal with those nightmares in any season.

The only really bad thing is the lack of daylight in the winter. It has a depressing effect that can't be dealt with in any way that I know of. I'm pretty sure that this is the reason that so many holidays are in the winter months. People trying to cheer themselves up...

But, still... I lived in the Bay area CA for a half a year. My impression is that there are just too damn many people in your (otherwise) lovely state. Maybe up north further or east in the hills...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That's true. I live in the Great White North, and do not have heated seats. Sheepskin seat covers = problem solved.

Reply to
dizzy

I've got a bad back. The heated seats on my 740iL E32 are an absolute godsend. The high intensity washers have gunged up though, as I'm told combining 2 different strengths of washer fluid causes gunge to form.

I don't ski, ergo the ski bag is of no use to me ... anyone got any good ideas as to what else it could be used for?

Reply to
Bear

I also look forward to winter. Our Summers here in New York (upstate) are very frequently hot and very nice, and our fall is absolutely beautiful. Winter is one of my favorite times of year, I love piles of snow on the road and nice 'hills' to slide down. Thanks, but I'll keep my seasons and you can keep your one. Lived in Mexico for a while, couldn't wait to come back to where tires and weather will have to change.

Matt

Reply to
MWarren