BMW Newbie

I have owned numerous Jap cars over the past 20 years. I am, for the first time looking at a BMW 740i. Are they noted to be as dependable as the jap cars? I have put between 200K-300K miles on most of my Jap cars. Can I expect the same with the BMW's? Are they as easy to work on as the jap cars? I have done most of the maintenance on them also myself. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Brian Houghtby

If you're first priority is reliability, I'd pass on the BMW. Escpecially a 740 as there is a lot of electronics to fail. Not that they are unreliable, but they are not Toyotas. They are not difficult to work on, but you often need special tools and test equipment.

Reply to
JimV

"Brian Houghtby" wrote

For the n-th time, one does not buy a BMW for reliability reasons. One buys it for the handling/fun-to-drive factor. If you're looking for reliability, stick with the Japanese makes, but make sure the car you buy is actually manufactured there because I had a US-made Accord and it was pitiful as far as reliability and manufacturing quality. My Audi A4 was far better than that.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

No. Yes. Mostly.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

My Lexus 400 did not make 100k miles before multiple system failures made it not worth fixing. Many in and post waranty repairs. My Infiniti did not make 70k before the exhaust sytem completely died. Otherwise it was reliable if boring. My Corvette: what more need be said? How could BMW be worse than that? Bimmers are a whole lot more fun to drive, anyway.

Reply to
bmoag

Reply to
Devils944S2

I gues that makes my BMW a 'Germ' car. They aren't as reliable. They should go 200k miles or higher. and they are a hell of alot more fun to drive. I don't think you buy a BMW for reliability (I have had 3), but as I drive around, the thought 'ultimate driving machine' keeps coming to mind, after all these years. And you will have the good fortune to pay a lot for gasoline. And parts. And service. Not for the faint of wallet. But I get in my 530 (or my previous 540 or 325) and i just feel great and feel like I own the road.

Reply to
mdd

How many times can you use the racial slur "jap" in one post?

Reply to
Locutus

Would that be the same slur as calling me Dave rather than David?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. Not generally.

Yes, with proper maintenance you can expect a very long life.

They are actually easier to work on in most cases.

Reply to
Fred W

Locutus

70K and you had to replace the exhaust on your Infinity? What's wrong with that? How does an exhaust system "die"? They rust out, usually from the inside out unless you are in the snow and salt if a factor.

If the manifold(s) crapped out on you that's different but unlikely.

BTW - I don't own an Infinity, and never have, so I'm not supporting them it just seems odd that it would be considered a problem with that mileage.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger